A great way to keep your cat entertained while providing it with delicious treats is by using a treat dispenser. This little product can keep your kitten occupied for hours, giving it the chance to exercise and have fun at the same time.
However, there are plenty of treat dispensers on the market. Choosing one needs some thinking on your part.
Luckily, we’re here to aid you by recommending our top picks for the best cat treat dispenser. Also, we’ll discuss the features to look for before buying one, and we’ll answer some questions you might have.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
Our Top 3 Picks: A Summary
If you’re in a rush, you can take a quick look at our top 3 cat treat dispensers.
Best Cat Treat Dispenser Toys
Now, if you have more time on your hands, you can join us while we check out our top 5 cat treat dispenser toys. Out of the following products, you’ll most certainly find the perfect match to gift your feline friend with.
PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Food Dispenser
Let’s start our list with this budget-friendly food dispenser by PetSafe. As simple as it may look, this product has been rated Amazon’s Choice in the food puzzle category.
Wondering why? We’d be glad to be of help.
According to the 5000+ reviews on this dispenser, it proved to be a fun toy to challenge their cats and keep them active. A lot of people commented on how this small treat dispenser kept their buddies preoccupied for a long time.
Not just that, but this toy comes with adjustable openings so that you can control the portions of food consumed by your cat. It should work with most kibble sizes.
If your cat is an avid eater, this dispenser can help it adjust to a healthier diet by providing it with smaller amounts of food. This way, you can rest assured that your furry friend won’t gain too much weight.
Last but not least, we like that you can put it in the dishwasher.
For all these nice qualities, this treat dispenser can be your best option, especially if you’re on a budget.
- ENRICHMENT: Watch your cat's natural instincts come alive as she chases the SlimCat across the floor
- EXERCISE: Combines mealtime with exercise to improve weight loss and fight obesity
- PERSONALIZATION: Convenient adjustable openings work for many kibble sizes and allow you to control how quickly your cat gets her food
- IMPROVE DIGESTION: Great for eager eaters; SlimCat distributes meals into several smaller portions so dinner is easier on your cat's stomach
- VERSATILITY: Can be used for fun with treats or as a daily feeder
- Amazon’s Choice
- Adjustable opening perfect for different treat sizes
- Works with all dry food
- A great way to regulate your cat’s eating habits
- Dishwasher safe
- Some cats might find their way around the challenge after a few days of use
Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree
Even though this treat dispenser is a bit more expensive, it can provide a better challenge if your cat is smart. Let’s be honest, all cats are smarter than we give them credit for.
The Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree makes your kitten work harder than the previous product to get treats. With its stable base, it won’t be knocked over and outsmarted by your cat!
Instead, your little buddy will have to depend on its senses of smell, touch, taste, sight, and hearing to reach its food. Available with 3 difficulty levels, it should come as a challenge to your cat no matter how clever it is.
In addition to all this, this dispenser is BPA-free and easy to clean. All you have to do is disassemble the food bowl and wash it with water and dish soap.
As for its price, this toy falls into the midrange region. Therefore, not only should it keep your cat from binge eating, but it can also be a great investment of your money.
- The food tree cat toy has a new and improved design with increased stability
- Interactive cat toy that stimulates cats to work for their food
- Cat Feeder is made of BPA-free materials
- Provides 3 difficulty levels to challenge your cat
- Easy to disassemble and clean; simply disassemble the food bowl and handwash
- A great product for smarter cats
- A good option for greedy eaters
- Comes with a steady design
- 3 difficulty levels
- Easy to disassemble and clean
- Some users reported that the edges of the openings have hurt the paws of their cats
Cat Amazing Sliders Interactive Treat Puzzle
Here’s another Amazon’s Choice for ‘cat puzzle.’ This toy is a bit more pricey than the previous two but might be a better option for many reasons.
For starters, it matches a cat’s instincts to explore, scratch, and smell in order to get its treats. With its inner sliding box, this treat puzzle keeps changing its techniques, which should keep your cat far from bored.
Also, it can offer your kitten the mental and physical exercise that it needs. By being entertaining and engaging, it should improve the mood of your feline friend as well as its diet.
Not to mention that it’s made of sturdy materials. It comes with double-layer cardboard and plant-based gloss coating, which is grease-resistant.
This way, the cardboard openings should pose no harm to your cat’s little paws.
For all these reasons, this interactive puzzle can be the best challenge to give your ultra-smart cat. Based on the manufacturer’s scale, this treat dispenser is of intermediate difficulty.
- 😺 INTERACTIVE CAT TOY & PUZZLE FEEDER – Cat Amazing SLIDERS is an ever-changing treat puzzle – that keeps cats and kittens active and playing for hours!
- 😺 ENGAGES NATURAL INSTINCTS to explore, scratch, sniff, find and retrieve hidden rewards – with sliding inner boxes to continually change the puzzle and challenge your cat with solo interactive play!
- 😺 WORKS WITH your cat's favorite cat treats, catnip, crinkle balls, mice, cat wand toy and other favorites; works great as a dry cat food dispenser and puzzle feeder!
- 😺 VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED for mental stimulation and physical exercise – as well as slower eating, weight loss and meal management – more activity and enrichment than a treat ball or dispenser!
- 😺 ULTRA TOUGH MATERIALS – industrial-strength double-layer cardboard with plant-based gloss coating for additional durability and grease-resistance!
- More challenging
- Works your cat into finding its treats
- Sturdy build and cat-friendly materials
- Comes with strong, double-layer cardboard
- Might be on the expensive side
Trixie Tunnel Self Feeder
Our fourth product is a nice treat dispenser that can be used as a feeder, too. If you have a kitten and want to encourage its sense of exploration, you can give this puzzle a shot.
It might not be as challenging as the previous products on our list, this is why we think it’s the best food dispenser to get your little kitten.
All you have to do is fill it with small treats, then let your cat try to get them. The more it pokes and shakes this feeder, the more amounts of treats will be released through the tunnels.
Of course, as your cat becomes familiar with the game, it’ll understand the trick more easily. In this case, you can adjust how quickly the treats fall to its reach to raise the bar a little bit.
If you want a simple cat treat dispenser that you can use as a feeder when needed, we highly suggest you pick this one. Not to mention that it also comes at a reasonable price.
- Simply fill with small, hard treats and watch your cat play
- Treats released into 6 tunnels as cat pokes, scoops and jabs
- Adjustable level of output to vary how quickly treats are released
- Can also be used as a daily feeder
- Dishwasher safe
- A great product for kittens
- You can adjust its output to make it more challenging
- Can be used as a feeder
- Dishwasher safe
- Mid-tier price
- The rubber foot at the bottom might come off with use
CATCH Interactive Feeder
Our final candidate, the CATCH interactive feeder might be exactly what you need to help your cat slow down when eating.
Because a lot of cats tend to gobble down large amounts of food, their owners keep thinking of ways to stop their incorrect eating habits. With this feeder, you can encourage your overweight cat to move more while having fun at the same time.
Simply, put her favorite treats, dry food, or even wet food into this bowl. Afterward, your cat will try to reach her food by either pushing the soft spikes or grabbing the treats from where they’re stuck.
Not only should it be a fun and time-consuming game, but it’ll also give your feline buddy the chance to eat more slowly. This way, it shouldn’t have any digestion issues.
Also, it should keep your cat from getting bored, which might lead to unwanted behavior.
The price might be over-the-top for a simple cat feeder. However, improving the wellbeing of your pet can be worth the cost.
- REVOLUTIONARY way to turn a cat’'s meal into a challenging, time-consuming game
- ALLEVIATES BOREDOM and results in a happier, healthier cat
- STIMULATES a cat's natural instinct and helps turn feed-time into an inspiring hunting game
- SLOWING DOWN EATING is important for overweight cats or those prone to gulping and digestive problems
- DISHWASHER SAFE and suited for wet and dry cat foods
- Helps your cat eat more slowly
- Eliminates digestion problems
- Makes mealtime entertaining
- Suitable for wet and dry food
- Easy to clean
- Dishwasher safe
- Might be a bit pricey for some people
- An overexcited cat can hurt its eyes looking too closely at the treats
- Might require supervision
How to Pick the Best Cat Treat Dispenser
Now that you have five products to choose from, making your decision can be quite tricky. Should you go for a simple puzzle or an interactive feeder? What about other features?
If you haven’t decided yet, we’ll tell you how to pick the best cat treat dispenser. In this section, we’ll list a few factors to think about, which should make your choice easier.
Let’s think together!
The number one factor you should think about is your budget. As you might have noticed, cat treat dispensers are generally affordable.
However, some people can’t spend some extra cash on simple toys. Therefore, a person on a tight budget can get a basic treat dispenser.
These shouldn’t cost much, and they depend on simple tricks to keep your cat preoccupied trying to get to its treats.
The higher you go in price, the more challenging a treat dispenser should become. A high-quality product usually has more than one difficulty level. Therefore, you can adjust it to slow down the output of treats if your cat becomes familiar with its mechanisms.
Furthermore, a top-tier dispenser tends to last longer than a basic feeder. Therefore, the investment that you make in a sturdy product should be worth the cost in the long run.
Type of Food
Some cat treat dispensers only work with dry food, while others are suitable for both wet and dry food.
Before you buy a treat dispenser toy, make sure that it’s compatible with the type of treats that you intend to give your cat. Not only in the matter of texture, but also of size.
It’s important that you pick a treat dispenser that works with all sizes of cat treats.
Again, the majority of cats are too smart for their own benefit but just won’t show it! However, some cats can be very lazy, especially if they’re overweight, which is why you should go for a simple toy.
Also, if you own a kitten, you’d better get her an easy puzzle, then you can increase the challenge in the future.
If you’re certain that your cat can outsmart the toy, then your best bet is to get one with different difficulty levels. This way, you can propose new tricks every day and keep your cat from getting bored.
Now that you know why to keep in mind before buying a cat treat dispenser, we’ll answer some questions you might want to ask.
What are the advantages of a cat treat dispenser?
This interactive toy can be beneficial to your cat on many levels.
- Can feed your cat’s curiosity
- Might keep your cat busy for hours while you’re gone
- Eliminates the risks of binge eating
- Keeps your cat active and entertained
- Can reduce unwanted behavior like scratching furniture
Can a treat-dispensing toy replace a feeder?
Yes, but only if the manufacturers say so. If it can’t be converted into a feeder, then you shouldn’t use it to regularly feed your cat.
In this case, it can have negative effects on your cat’s health because it’ll be eating less than its recommended portion of food.
How can I wash a cat treat dispenser?
Most dispensers are dishwasher-friendly.
No matter, if the instructions manual doesn’t recommend putting a product in the dishwasher, then you can easily clean it with dish soap and water.
The Bottom Line
Cats are curious creatures. They depend on their senses to explore the world and they welcome any challenges in their journey with excitement.
To use these points to their benefit, you can buy a cat treat dispenser and watch your cat earn its treats by being more active. This way, you’ll encourage weight loss, exercise, and mental stimulation using simple products.
If you’re wondering about our favorite treat-dispensing toy, it’s the PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Food Dispenser. We’ll tell you why we love it.
It shouldn’t cost you much at all. Also, it can keep your cat busy and entertained when you’re too busy to give it your attention.
However, if you’re looking for something a bit more challenging, you should go for the Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree.