When you have a cat, it might face health issues every now and then. Cat insurance with Petco can be a good option when it comes to covering the veterinary expenses.
You wouldn’t want to risk it and be in a situation where, let’s say, your cat needs surgery, and you can’t afford it.
All you’ll need to do is to pay a fixed amount of money per month so that it’d cover health expenses in the future.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
What to Consider When Getting a Cat Insurance?
- What to Consider When Getting a Cat Insurance?
- Why Petco?
- How Much Will You Pay per Month for the Petco Cat Insurance?
- What Is Not Covered in the Insurance?
- Is It Easy to Enroll?
- What Other Services Does Petco Provide for Your Cat?
- Petco vs. Healthypaws
- What Do Cat Owners Think of Petco Cat Insurance?
When you’re getting cat insurance, you have to keep certain things in mind.
What does the insurance cover? Usually, it won’t cover everything, so you need to check that ahead to see if it suits your needs.
You also need to keep in mind your cat’s breed and age. Why is that? Because some cat breeds are more subject to specific types of illness. Also, the younger the cat, the less you’ll pay.
Also, keep in mind that the insurance doesn’t usually cover pre-existing health conditions.
Their plans can be customized to fit your needs. They offer preventive care and insurance plans.
Petco Preventive Care
You don’t have to get an insurance plan to get the Petco preventive care. It has a rate of 100% reimbursement, without exceeding the limits, of course, and with 0% deductible.
You can submit your claims through your mobile, and you’ll have free access to unlimited telemedicine services.
Besides all of that, you’ll have priority when scheduling a visit for your cat at Vetco clinics (part of Petco), and you’ll get a free wellness kit when you enroll in this plan.
It’s not a plan to cover accidents or health issues, though. Here’s what it covers:
- Urine test with a limit of $25
- Blood test with a limit of $50
- Health certificate with a limit of $40
- Microchip with a limit of $40
- Deworming with a limit of $25
- Fecal test with a limit of $20
- Heartworm or FeLV/FIV test with a limit of $30
- Vaccination or titer with a limit of $50
- Behavioral exam/treatment with a limit of $30
- Two exams per year with a limit of $25 each
The insurance has two primary plans that can be customized. The first plan covers injuries from accidents.
The second plan covers accidents and general illness, whether it be caused by accidents or not.
These plans cover as an average:
- From 70% to 90% reimbursement
- From $100 to $500 deductible
- The annual limit starts from $5000 up to being unlimited
The average wait period is 14 days.
How Much Will You Pay per Month for the Petco Cat Insurance?
If you’re going for preventive care, you’ll pay at least $20 per month, while the insurance plans will cost you an average of $35 per month.
What Is Not Covered in the Insurance?
Insurance companies don’t cover every medical detail.
Here are some of the services that are excluded from Petco cat insurance:
- Cosmetic dental services
- Cosmetic services
- Dental cleaning without being related to a recovery from a covered illness
- Anal gland resection without a present illness
- Breeding and pregnancy
- Experimental treatments
- Funeral or memorial expenses
- Grooming without prescriptions
- Illness caused intentionally or by irresponsibility
- Non-medical supplies or services
- Conditions in or before the waiting period
- Food, supplements, and vitamins
- Veterinarian expenses when the cat owner is the vet
- Illness caused by epidemics, pandemics, radiation, wars or revolutions
Is It Easy to Enroll?
The enrollment process only requires submitting a claim and the administrators will do the rest of the work. If they need further information, they’ll reach out to you.
What Other Services Does Petco Provide for Your Cat?
Besides insurance, the company also sells cat food, litter boxes, and waste disposal. They sell toys, collars, and all the accessories from beds and carriers to furniture protection. They also have a variety of cat supplies.
They offer health services and sell cat medications as well. They basically have everything you might need, from A to Z.
Petco vs. Healthypaws
When compared to Healthypaws, another company that offers cat insurance services, we can see that Petco doesn’t have a long track record as Healthypaws since it’s new.
The reimbursements and deductions, as well as the annual limits, are almost the same in both companies.
However, Petco covers the exam fees and has a shorter waiting period.
What Do Cat Owners Think of Petco Cat Insurance?
Cat owners say that the thing they love the most is how easy and fast the enrollment process is, and how responsive the customer service is when submitting a claim. I personally find it a really remarkable quality.
They also love the preventive care option and they say that it provides all the care they need for their cats at a really reasonable price.
Overall, I like the service that Petco offers. The fact that you can have a personalized plan really works for everyone. I’d be able to have an insurance plan, but I can also enroll in the preventive care for regular check-ups.
Also one of the benefits is that Petco has more services other than insurance, which means that you’d find everything you need for your cat in just one place.
Although they’re relatively new in the insurance field, cat owners seem to be happy about their service. They’ve also been providing other services for years, so they’ve earned the trust of many cat owners.