Compared with other puppies, Yorkie puppies are typically very small and the food they eat needs to provide them with the nutrients they need to grow strong and healthy. The nutrients needed for puppies are different to those needed for an adult dog, as they have to help the puppy through their most difficult growth period, supporting bone growth, coat maintenance and organ development. Wet food is a great choice for Yorkie puppies as it helps to keep them hydrated in a way that is safe and comfortable for the puppy while providing them with the support they need.
In this article, we will look at the best wet food available for Yorkie puppies.
Table of Contents
1. Lily’s Kitchen Puppy Recipe
Packed with nutritious, wholesome ingredients, Lily’s Kitchen is a natural, fresh wet food intended for puppies aged eight weeks and up. Made specifically with puppies in mind, this is a great option for smaller breeds like Yorkies who require extra nourishment; the food contains the recommended amount of calcium and phosphorous puppies need to grow strong bones and a healthy coat. Lily’s Kitchen wet food also comes in different flavour combinations, each including healthy and tasty ingredients intended to assist your puppy in its development.
- A lot of commenters appreciated the ethos of the company, which claims to put animals at the heart of product creation and ethically sources its ingredients.
- Most owners found that their dogs thoroughly enjoyed the food and were more than happy to finish their meals every time, which is great for growing puppies and small dog breeds.
- This food comes with a strong smell, which some commented was too much for even their puppy to cope with and put the puppy off the food – this is likely down to individual taste.
- Some puppies also struggled with diarrhoea after ingesting this food, suggesting it may be too wet for some dogs to tolerate.
2. Royal Canin Mini Puppy / Junior Wet Food
Specifically intended to be gentle enough for puppies’ sensitive stomachs, this wet food is a good option for smaller breeds who require more nourishment from their meals. Meant for puppies up to the age of ten months, it is also capable of taking puppies from the weaning stage to their dry food stage. This food also claims to be high in energy and capable of maintaining puppies between meals; this makes it suitable for smaller breeds who may need more energy throughout the day.
- Many appreciated this food for its capacity to wean small and young dogs from milk and transition them through to dry food.
- While most were appreciative of its tastiness, the food was not considered by most to be too rich in flavour, meaning that it did not upset the digestive system – this makes it a suitable option for puppies and small breeds with allergies or sensitive stomachs.
- Compared with other puppy foods on the market, this is a notably more expensive option and the amount received often does not reflect the price.
3. Forthglade Complementary Natural Wet Dog Food
Specifically formulated with natural ingredients and packed with added vitamins and minerals, this food is steamed to lock in goodness and improve flavour. Forthglade’s complementary food is a great option for puppies of any size from the age of two months up, including most of the transition period from milk to dry food. Intended to be mixed with dry food, it is designed to help your dog transition from a solely wet diet in a balanced, healthy way. It is also grain free, so is suitable for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs.
- Many commenters appreciated this wet food for its natural simplicity, which was found to be tolerable for even sensitive puppies with allergies or stomach problems.
- The food is notably high in protein, making it a great option for growing puppies and smaller breeds.
- Some reviewers found the smell of the food was unpleasant.
- Having to mix this food with dry food can lead to added costs, which soon pile up if purchasing regularly – as a puppy grows, it is likely to need more food, meaning the expenses of having to purchase both wet and dry food can increase as the puppy grows.
4. James Wellbeloved Complete Wet Puppy Dog Food
VIDEO Reveals… Does Your Dog Have Bad Breath? If so they could be on the path to other problems. Find out if your dog has a problem and see a 5 second daily ritual you can do to stop it. Click to watch this FREE video NOW!
Formulated with easy digestion in mind, this food actively avoids potentially inflammatory ingredients such as dairy, wheat and artificial ingredients. As the brand ensures all of their products are hypoallergenic, this wet food is likely most appropriate for smaller breeds with sensitive stomachs prone to allergies, as well as puppies susceptible to reactions.
- Great for toy breeds like Yorkies, who are prone to adverse reactions and allergies to certain ingredients.
- This food and the meat used in it are considered to be very high quality, making it even better for sensitive puppies still getting used to wet food.
- A number of commenters found that the packaging of the pouches was wasteful and messy.
- Some found that their puppies would not eat the food and put this down to either the taste or the texture of the food.
5. Pedigree Junior Wet Food
Formulated with the help of vets and dog nutritionists, this food provides puppies with 100% of the nutrition they need to grow healthy and strong. Targeting bones, skin and digestion, the food works to develop natural defences and assist the puppy in growing strong. With no artificial colours or preservatives and including fresh ingredients and vitamins, it is a great option for still-developing puppies and smaller breeds.
- Some noted that the amount of food in each pouch is just enough so that puppies do not go hungry but are unlikely to overeat.
- Most commenters said their puppies thoroughly enjoyed the taste of the food – a sure sign of a successful meal.
- Some found their puppies struggled with loose stools after consumption, suggesting the food might be too wet for some young dogs.