Sliding glass dog doors offer a fantastic solution for dog owners looking to provide their pets with the freedom to come and go without the hassle of cutting holes into walls or doors.
Today, we’re helping you find the best sliding glass dog door with a lock by reviewing the top 5 options available on the market. So let’s not waste any time and hop in!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Sliding Glass Dog Doors with Lock
- What is a Sliding Glass Dog Door?
- How to Choose the Best Sliding Glass Dog Door with Lock
- Wrap Up
5 Best Sliding Glass Dog Doors with Lock
PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door
A leading manufacturer in the industry, PetSafe provides premium quality and variety with this sliding glass dog door.
It’s built with shatter-resistant tempered glass and weather-resistant aluminum for maximum durability. It includes a slide-in closing panel to control your dog’s access to the outdoors, as well as a lock for extra security.
Available in multiple sizes and three different colors, the PetSafe Freedom Sliding Glass Pet Door also comes with magnetic closure on its tinted flap to block out the heat and cold.
- PERFECT FOR APARTMENTS AND RENTAL HOMES: This rental-friendly door installs easily in 1 piece so you can easily take it with you if you and your best friend move
- 2 ADJUSTABLE SIZES: The patio panel is available in 2 adjustable heights to fit in your existing sliding door track; adjustable up to 80 11/16 in or 96 in
- DESIGNED FOR LARGE PETS: Flap opening is 10 1/4 W x 16 3/8 in H for pets up to 100 lb
- SECURITY LOCK: The latch kit allows you to lock your sliding glass door once the pet door is in place
- CONTROLLED ACCESS: Use the closing panel to limit your cat or dog’s access when needed
- Features slide-in closing panel
- The flap is tainted and has a magnetic closure
- Outstanding value for money
- The flap isn’t firm enough for windy weather
Endura Flap Thermo Panel Sliding Glass Dog Door
If you have no problem splurging some cash, you may want to consider the Endura Flap Thermo Panel Sliding Glass Dog Door.
Manufactured in the USA, the frame of this pet door is built using strong aluminum with dual, magnetically-sealed LoE glass layers to keep your home temperature constant without sacrificing natural light.
Besides the award-winning energy efficiency, this door includes a sturdy slide-in locking cover to prevent your dog from leaving and keep out unwanted critters.
- ✔ NO TOOLS NEEDED TO FIT… This doggy door fits into your sliding glass doors or patio panel without tools, for super easy installation and removal
- ✔ IDEAL FOR RENTERS & VACATION HOMES … If you don’t want a permanent pet door, the Endura Flap Thermo Panel satisfies both needs; install or remove as desired
- ✔ STRONG ALUMINIUM FRAME AND LoE GLASS… Dual layer magnetically sealed pet-safe flap and two layers of LoE glass surrounded by heavy duty metal, to be long-lasting and robust
- ✔ AWARD-WINNING ENERGY EFFICIENCY… Our patio panel pet doors keep out the winter cold or the summer heat even in the harshest climates, and keeps those energy bills down
- ✔ STRONG SECURITY COVER… Includes a sturdy slide-in locking cover for when you are away, or your dog or cat is in for the evening; keeps out unwanted critters.
- Durable construction
- Impressive energy efficiency
- Sturdy slide-in locking cover
Ideal Pet Products Fast Fit Aluminum Dog Door
This sliding glass dog door from Idea Pet Products is made to fit aluminum sliding patio doors only, so keep this in mind as you shop.
Not only is this door available in three color options, but it also comes in five different sizes of flaps and has an adjustable height from 77⅝ to 80⅜ inches.
Although the installation process is pretty straightforward, we especially like the included weatherstripping and the magnetic closure of the flap as they offer excellent insulation.
- designed to fit aluminum sliding patio doors only
- the ideal choice for rentals. installs easily, no tools required
- "adjustable height: 77 to 80" (80") (measure flush at top track to the inside bottom track of your sliding patio door frame)"
- manufacturer warranty does not apply to product purchased through amazon warehouse, and any used product sellers
- need assistance? e-mail ideal pet products expert us-based customer care specialists seven days a week!
- 5 flap sizes
- Easy to install
- Impressive insulating
- The locking mechanism requires drilling holes
PetSafe Sliding Glass Dog Door Insert
Another reliable option from PetSafe, this sliding glass dog door insert has an adjustable height from 76 13/16 to 80 11/16 inches. It’s built with a very durable aluminum frame as well as tempered glass for long-term service.
Included in the purchase are two latch kits that allow your sliding glass door to lock. The slide-in closing panel adds another level of security when your pup isn’t using the flap.
This sliding glass dog door also comes with a weather strip to keep the heat and cold outside. It’s available in 3 flap sizes.
- PERFECT FOR RENTALS AND APARTMENTS: This rental-friendly door is easy to install and detach using removeable adhesive strips so you can easily take it with you when you and your furry friend move
- EASY INSTALLATION IN 2 PIECES: Automatically adjusts to fit into your existing sliding door tracks with no cutting; easily installs in most left or right sided sliding glass door frames up to 80 11/16 in tall
- ADDED LOCKING SECURITY: The latch kit enables your sliding glass door to lock, and the slide-in closing panel adds another level of security when your pet isn’t using the door
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: The door has weather stripping and a tinted flap with magnetic closure to keep the heat and cold outside
- STRONG AND DURABLE: Built to withstand heavy use, the door has an aluminum frame and tempered glass; 1 year warranty
- Includes latch kit
- Comes with weatherstrip
- 1-year warranty
- Not very durable
Endura Flap Vinyl Sliding Dog Door
Last but not least, this sliding glass dog door from Endura Flap is made using strong white vinyl to fit modern vinyl sliding glass panel doors. It also features dual-layer tempered clear LoE glass for superior weather resistance.
The included door flap withstands wind up to 50 mph, with a sturdy locking cover for added security.
Available in three flap sizes and three height ranges, you can easily find a version that matches your panel measurements.
- No-Tools Installation - Adjustable top for fast, easy install and removal. Ideal fit for modern white patio sliders. Pet door flap sizes for small, medium, large, and extra large dogs. Great for rentals, vacation homes, and apartments!
- Energy Efficient Weather Resistant Design - Insulates your home in cold and hot temperatures using tempered clear dual-pane LoE glass. Durable, insulated flap lets your dog in and keeps all weather out
- Strongest Vinyl Frame - Designed specifically to fit and compliment modern vinyl sliding glass panel patio doors. Strong white vinyl frame provides the best flush fit into the slider track and made to last
- Keeps Home Cozy and Secure - Sturdy pet door flap resists winds up to 50 mph and shields inside home against the harshest weather outdoors in winter, spring, summer and fall. Strong locking cover secures doggy door to keep your dog in or anything else out
- Manufacturer Warranty - makes all our high quality doggie doors in the United States and offers a lifetime guarantee on all parts, products, and components to be free of defects in materials and workmanship
- Resists wind up to 50mph
- Great insulation
- Simple installation
- On the pricey side
What is a Sliding Glass Dog Door?
A sliding glass dog door is a panel that features glass on top and a pet door flap at the bottom. Installing a sliding glass dog door means you’ll be inserting a panel into a pre-existing sliding door track.
The installed panel serves as a partition that divides the whole sliding door into two parts: a stationary panel with a dog flap, and the pre-existing slider panel.
Once you install a sliding glass dog door panel, the slider of the door should slide in its track against the panel without any hiccups. Keep in mind that the track for the door is shortened because of the added panel.
How to Choose the Best Sliding Glass Dog Door with Lock
When shopping for the best sliding glass dog door with a lock, there are a few features you should first consider to make sure you land the right purchase.
The size we’re talking about includes two aspects: the size of the panel overall, and the size of the flap door in it.
You don’t want to end up with a pet door that’s too big or too small for your dog to pass through, so it’s important to select the right flap size.
Measure how tall your dog is from its shoulder to its feet then add 1 inch to it
Then, take the measurements of the widest part of your dog’s body then add 2 inches to it.
Correct measurements will ensure that the flap will comfortably fit your canine through while preventing larger animals from entering your home.
After that, you should figure out the height of the dog door panel that’ll match your slider.
Use a tape measure to take measurements of the door and determine the suitable measurements for the panel you’ll install. The size of the panel will include the width of the flap fitted in it.
As a product that allows access into and out of your house, a sliding glass dog door comes with a potential security threat.
So before one, make sure it comes with safety mechanisms – today, we’re reviewing doors with locks.
Consider how secure those locks are. Some locks are just good enough that the dog won’t open them, but any human could easily pop them open in no time.
Manufacturers usually use aluminum or vinyl in building sliding glass dog doors. Aluminum is more common, but you can still find good options in vinyl as well.
The important thing is to make sure that the material of the dog door you’re buying is the same as what you already have at home.
Sliding glass dog doors are a great solution for renters because they won’t need to punch a hole in a wall or a door. The installation process is a super easy DIY project, so hiring a professional isn’t necessary.
That being said, if you’re looking for the best sliding glass dog door, then we recommend the Endura Flap Thermo Panel Sliding Glass Dog Door thanks to its durable construction, impressive insulation, and sturdy slide-in locking cover.