Finding the right food for a senior Yorkie can be particularly difficult; not only does the food need to promote and maintain the health of an aging dog, but Yorkies are also notorious for their health issues and sensitivities.
Senior dogs require certain ingredients, such as proteins and healthy fats, which will benefit the dog in gut health, bone and joint protection, and muscle density. Individual dogs will require different things, and it is important to consider what each dog needs to get from their food when purchasing.
In this article, we will look at the five top foods for senior Yorkie dogs and discuss the pros and cons of each of the options considered.
Table of Contents
Specifically formulated with Yorkshire Terriers in mind, this dry mix aims to support older dogs by maintaining fur condition, relieving skin irritation, and promoting joint health. The mix contains biotin and borage oil, both of which help to promote hair growth and strength and are vital for maintaining the Yorkie’s signature long, silky coat. Packed with healthy oils and good fats, it also encourages joint and bone wellbeing to ensure dogs stay mobile, active, and strong into their senior years.
- The mix is specifically designed to address the issues faced by Yorkies in their later years, including problems with digestion, gut health and sensitivities to certain ingredients.
- Many fussy Yorkies enjoy the mix and managed to finish their meal, which can be rare and is important for maintaining digestive health and energy levels.
- Bowel movements were also said to be improved with this food, often becoming more regular and easier to handle.
- The recipe of this food may contain some ingredients which can trigger gluten allergy reactions, which means it may not be suitable for dogs with sensitivities.
Intended to be particularly effective for small and medium breeds, this dry food contains around 85% animal protein and is free from GMOs and artificial ingredients such as preservatives and colouring. It aims to promote vitality in older dogs who may struggle with energy and muscle health. It is also wheat free and packed with ingredients intended to promote healthy digestion and avoid adverse reactions in the gut, which is key in small dogs such as Yorkies who typically struggle with stomach issues and sensitivities to allergies.
- Most owners noticed a significant improvement in their dog’s movement and strength, a great advantage for older dogs who may have slowed down or struggle to get much movement in their day.
- The food is considered to be cheaper than a lot of other brands, many of which offer similar things for a higher price.
- The difference between Adult food and Senior food can cause some dogs to have a slight reaction, so some weaning may be necessary.
Containing no wheat, gluten, eggs, or artificial ingredients, this food is a particularly good option for senior dogs who may struggle with allergies or problems with gut health. Owners of Yorkies are especially likely to find this food is a great option for ensuring health maintenance while avoiding allergic reactions. Full of protein and fresh meat, Wellness Core works to promote heart, muscle, and joint health and support weight maintenance, allowing for health to remain at its best.
FREE Training… Is your dog easily distracted? Do they sometimes ignore your commands? If so you need to try the Airplane Game to quickly get their attention no matter what’s distracting them. Click to get this FREE 5-min training NOW!
- Many found the food to be great value for money, as its price point is lower than many competitors who offer similar benefits.
- The food is appreciated for its high quality, which many note to be consistent from batch to batch.
- The food itself can be a little too big for smaller breeds to handle, so some watering down may be necessary.
- Some of the flavours are not as popular with dogs as others, and fussy eaters may require a bit more prompting.
4. James Wellbeloved Senior Small Breed Dry Food
A good naturally healthy option, James Wellbeloved’s food for senior dogs avoids artificial ingredients and irritants such as wheat and oats to make digestion easier for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Providing the specific nutrients senior dogs need to thrive and maintain healthy and active lives, the food is a favourite with owners whose dogs may be lacking in healthy acids and fats. The food is also intended to be easily digestible for small mouths and stomachs such as that of the Yorkie, and provide a complete, balanced meal.
- The taste and texture of this food were noted to be popular even amongst fussy eaters.
- Older dogs with allergies were found to enjoy the food without experiencing adverse reactions to any ingredients.
- The food is considered to be slightly expensive, although many found it to be worth the higher price.
5. Advance Dog Food Senior Mini
Advance Senior dog food is intended for smaller breeds and covers many different areas of health maintenance and protection. Full of Omega-3 and natural proteins, this food is a great option for older, small breed dogs who require a little help with everything from their cognition to their intestinal health. More specifically, it is intended to help smaller dogs to maintain heart function and improve their immune system, keeping them healthy and strong for longer.
- A lot of owners found their dogs had increased cognitive ability, keeping them alert and active.
- This food helped many dogs with movement and agility, meaning they were able to exercise and maintain their bodies as well as their minds.
- This is considered to be a slightly more expensive option than other similar foods on the market.
- As it is a rather popular choice with owners, the food can sometimes be difficult to get hold of for a reasonable delivery time and price.