Getting out and being active with your dog is one of the top health benefits that make dog ownership so rewarding. You get to bond with your pet, explore your neighborhood and enjoy rewarding them with a treat afterward.
Retractable dog leashes are a great product that can make walking your dog a better experience. But with so many options available on the market, how do you choose?
To make it easier for you to select the one that will work best for you and your pet, we’ve put together a helpful buying guide. Read on for reviews on the top ten best retractable dog leashes available today.
Table of Contents
- Selecting the Right Retractable Leash for Your Dog
- Retractable Leashes for Larger Dogs
- Build Quality of Retractable Dog Leashes
- Bargain Retractable Leashes
- Small Pets & Retractable Leashes
- Length of Retractable Leashes
- Locking Retractable Leashes for Dogs
- Retractable Leashes While Jogging
- 1. Flexi Neon Retractable Dog Leashes
- 2. TaoTronics for Dogs Up to 110 Pounds
- 3. Allow Your Dog to Explore Tangle Free with Cloud9
- 4. Get the Longest Leash with Flexi Explore
- 5. BC Retail Offers 3-in-1 Retractable Dog Leashes
- 6. Walk Two Dogs at Once with Wigzi
- 7. GlowGeek Ensures Quality with a Lifetime Guarantee
- 8. The Largest Dogs Need the Strongest Leash
- 9. URPOWER Leashes Consider Your Comfort Too
- 10. A Leash and An Education
- Start Shopping
- Should My Retractable Leash be Reflective?
- Do Retractable Leashes Satisfy Leash Laws?
Selecting the Right Retractable Leash for Your Dog
Now that you know the best retractable dog leashes on the market, how do you go about choosing between them? First, you’ll want to think about which features you feel you actually need.
While this might sound silly, pet supply companies are adding more functions to dog leashes than you can imagine. An overwhelming majority of dog owners would probably be more than happy with the most basic ones on the market.
If you have a bigger dog, though, then you might want to consider investing in something that’s sturdy and reinforced.
Retractable Leashes for Larger Dogs
Rather than look for some kind of techie solution if you have a bigger dog, you’ll want to keep an eye open for a leash with extra-strong webbing. Fortunately, this is starting to become more common as people do their best to handle customer complaints about leashes snapping.
Only some pet supply companies ever actually tell you what the leash is made out of. If you can find one that sells leashes made from stronger twine that includes several feet of webbed lead in the front, then you should be in pretty good shape.
Those who have smaller pets will still want to consider the build quality of their leashes before they make a final decision. Even the tiniest animals can still pull apart a leash that hasn’t been put together all that well.
Build Quality of Retractable Dog Leashes
Unfortunately, you’ll eventually come across pet owners who complain about poorly made collars on the market. This is a big problem that’s been made worse by the fact that you can easily find fake merchandise if you’re shopping online.
Don’t be fooled by prices that are too good to be true. If they’re that low, then they might have hit rock bottom for a reason. Check to make sure that any collar you select is made from high-quality materials that will hold up to whatever your dog puts it through.
Bargain Retractable Leashes
That being said, you shouldn’t feel like you have to be afraid of great deals either! There’s no reason that you can’t save money and keep your dog safe at the same time. Look for manufacturer’s promotions and big blowout sales.
These tend to happen more at certain times of the year.
Sometimes, a company will make some minor change to the way they’re manufacturing a specific leash and refer to it as an upgrade. This is a great chance to snag a good deal, since the original model will get heavily discounted for a brief period of time.
Snag it while you can!
Small Pets & Retractable Leashes
Perhaps you own a smaller dog that doesn’t need that much reinforcement. You still won’t want to get a leash that’s too weak, though.
Take a look at the total length. Considering that many smaller dogs shouldn’t be allowed to go too far off by themselves, you’re going to want something that’s not ridiculously long.
Think about what the longest maximum length you’d be comfortable allowing your dog to wander off with. Once you know what that is, you’ll be in a better position to select the right leash.
Length of Retractable Leashes
Owners of larger animals might not want their dogs to go too far either. Usually, 15-25 feet is a good length no matter what kind of dog you have.
Anything more than this tends to give them too much space to roam around, which could be potentially dangerous if you dog likes to go exploring. If you give them much less then this and they’re a larger dog, then they’re going to feel constrained.
At that point, you might as well just get a traditional leash!
Locking Retractable Leashes for Dogs
One of the biggest benefits of using a retractable leash is the fact that you can lock it in place and give your dog a certain length. Make sure you get something that has an easy-to-use lock.
Some of these are quite user-obsequious as they say in the business, which means you’d have no idea how to use it even though they tried to make it simple!
Pick something that’s controlled by a single button and nothing more. When you push down on this button, the leash should lock in place.
Retractable Leashes While Jogging
You can use your retractable leash even if you’re jogging, but you might want to make sure to give your dog a shorter lead.
It’s easy to give your dog far too much room to wander while you’re running around, which can make it easy for them to get away from you. Set the length at something reasonable and both of you should happy with your workout.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
1. Flexi Neon Retractable Dog Leashes
- Reflective 16 ft Tape leash that helps increase safety for dogs and their owners - for dogs weighing up to 110 lbs
- Reflective stickers and neon-colored components for better visibility
- Convenient handling thanks to single-handed use of the brake button and permanent stop feature
- 16 ft neon-colored tape offers plenty of freedom of movement
- Lightweight, compact leash for dogs up to 110 lbs
If you live in a high traffic area, walking your dog at night or after dark could pose serious risks. This Flexi leash is designed to address that exact problem. Visibility is its signature feature.
A neon-colored cord paired with reflective stickers on both sides of the casing ensures that cars and other street traffic will be able to see you and your dog coming. You can feel safe walking your dog, even late at night.
2. TaoTronics for Dogs Up to 110 Pounds
No products found.
Retractable dog leashes can get expensive, especially if you’re having to replace them as your dog gets bigger. Investing in retractable dog leashes that can work for your dog at various stages of growth is a smart way to make purchasing a leach as cost-effective as possible.
This TaoTronics leash uses a cord made from durable nylon tape and is designed for puppies and dogs up to 110 pounds. It allows your dog comfortable walking room and is strong enough to handle your dog’s weight as they grow.
3. Allow Your Dog to Explore Tangle Free with Cloud9
No products found.
If you have a curious dog who often stops and starts on a walk, you need a leash that will allow them to explore nature in a safe way. This Cloud9 leash can extend up to 16 feet, and automatically adjusts as your dog roams around.
By eliminating excess slack, this leash provides your dog with a great walking experience while giving you peace of mind that they’re never too far from you. An anti-tangle feeder on the leash also ensures your dog’s safety, as they will never get caught up in the rope.
4. Get the Longest Leash with Flexi Explore
No products found.
Depending on where you live, you may have a lot of room to let your dog explore when you walk. In those cases, the Flexi Explore is the best option for a retractable leash. With up to 26 feet of rope, this leash allows your dog as much freedom as possible, while still keeping them safely on a leash.
5. BC Retail Offers 3-in-1 Retractable Dog Leashes
- HOW WE'RE DIFFERENT: The LED FLASHLIGHT provides you with an illuminated, better, and safer nighttime walk, & a BAG DISPENSER which allows you to quickly clean up.
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: We do listen to our customers. After several prototypes, we finally came up this NEW LOCKING MECHANISM which will surely remove the frustration of having a jammed leash. The handle of the Heavy Duty plastic casing has been ergonomically designed to fit your hand like a glove.
- BONUS: FREE PLASTIC BAG. Your first roll of plastic bag is on us.
- ADDITIONAL BENEFITS: This is the best, durable, and retractable ribbon-like leash that would handle any powerful large dogs, up to 50 lbs, as well as medium sized and smaller dogs, giving them maximum freedom while under your control. With such durable, long leashes, you can easily lead your furry friend from anywhere from 1, 4, 8, up to 15 Ft away.
- LIFETIME MANUFACTURER WARRANTY: If at any point it does break, BC Retail Inc. will replace it. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. This warranty is only offered by us, BC RETAIL Inc., the original manufacturer. Please beware of 3rd party sellers.
If you love a Swiss Army Knife or utility belt, you’re probably also looking for retractable dog leashes that do it all. This BC Retail product includes a LED light and bag dispenser, making it the perfect leash to grab and go for a great walk anytime.
Walking your dog early in the morning or late at night is much more enjoyable when you have light to guide your way and make your path safer. The built-in bag dispenser also means you have everything you need for a walk in one place. It’s a great does-it-all option for dog owners who love functionality.
6. Walk Two Dogs at Once with Wigzi
- The only Authentic, Patented two dog walking leash with warranty
- Each dog extends 10 feet safely with reflective tape for safety
- Each button securely stops each dog individually
- Wigzi’s patented 360 no tangle mechanism backed a warranty
- Tough design with soft touch handle grip for comfort
Rather than purchasing two separate retractable dog leashes for walking two dogs at once, take a look at the Wigzi Dual Doggie Pet Leash. It features two leashes which extend up to 10 feet from the same handle, and each leash can handle a dog up to 50 pounds.
Each leash has its own color-coded control button, so you can adjust for each individual dog and allow them to roam at different distances. The leashes are also non-tangling, so you don’t have to worry about the dogs tripping over each other, or you tripping over either one of them.
7. GlowGeek Ensures Quality with a Lifetime Guarantee
- EFFICIENT AND ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Leash can extend up to 16 feet extra long and comes with a superior lock and retraction system. The easy to use single button system, a sturdy anti-slip handle with comfortable feels grip, a tangle-free, high Strength nylon ribbon
- STRONG AND EASY CONTROL - Can be easily controlled with the help of a single button that lets you release the leash to let your dog walk around freely, retract him when you like it and lock the length of the leash to suit your comfort.
- BEST DOGS DAY OUT - Retractable Leash allows your dog to roam around comfortably, smell & sniff his surroundings, while still keeping him safe from any dangers.
- For any types of dog with up to 110lbs in weight, This Retractable leash works for powerful large dogs, as well as medium sized and smaller dogs, giving them maximum freedom while under your control
- Lifetime Replacement Guarantee - If for any reason our leash lets you down, we will replace it no questions asked.
Every dog is different, and some dogs walk and play harder than others. If that’s the case for you, you may have had difficulty finding retractable dog leashes that can keep up.
This GlowGeek leash is durable enough to handle strong dogs up to 110 pounds and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. If for any reason you are unhappy or the leash doesn’t work for you and your dog, you can replace it no questions asked.
8. The Largest Dogs Need the Strongest Leash
- Flexi Usa
- Durabelt Leash Red Medium 16 Feet
- Dog Collars & Harnesses
Most retractable dog leashes work for dogs up to 110 pounds. But if your dog is larger than that, you still should be able to have a great walking experience with a high-quality leash.
The Flexi Durabelt extends up to 16 feet and is designed for the largest dogs, up to 150 pounds. The rope belt is durable enough to withstand even the hardest pullers, but still provides your dog with comfort and allows you both to share an enjoyable walk.
9. URPOWER Leashes Consider Your Comfort Too
- One Button Brake & Lock Safety System: The reliable lock button gives you capability to adjust the leash's length when needed, allows the leash to stay at a constant length, to ensure you could absolute control the safety of your dogs and yourself.
- Retractable Leash: Retractable ribbon leash extends up to 16.4ft, great for dogs up to 66lbs. Ensure that you could walk with full control of your dog with instant retraction of the leash when required and give your dogs more freedom to wander, sniff, and poke around.
- Durable Material: The dog leash is made of Eco-friendly material nylon. ABS plastic casing is friendly to environment, non-toxic and odorless.
- Comfortable & Safety: Ergonomic TPE Anti-slip Handle is easy and safe to grip, provides enjoyable walking experience with your pets and you don't worry about the dog leash will hurt your hand when the dog run about madly.
- Make sure that all parts of the leash and your dog's collar are in good condition. If any part of the leash or your dog's collar is damaged, frayed or broken, please do not use the leash.
Your dog’s comfort should be first and foremost when choosing a leash, but it shouldn’t come at the sacrifice of your own.
The URPOWER Retractable Ribbon leash was designed with both dogs and their owners in mind. An ergonomic non-slip handle makes it comfortable to grip. The lock button is easy to access so you can control your dog instantly if necessary.
No matter how much your dog tugs, pulls or runs around, this leash will still feel great in your hand.
10. A Leash and An Education
- Retractable Reflective Dog Leash is Visible in the Night Against the Lights
- Retractable Tape Dog Leash Extends up to 16.5 Feet
- Life Time Guarantee - Bring this dog leash home without any risk.
- Dog Retractable Leash Capacity: 6.3x5.1x1.6 inches. Support Dogs up to 110 lbs
- One Button Lock/Brake System and Comfortable Handle Makes Easier and Safer Control
The best thing a leash can do for you is guarantee a safe and happy relationship between you and your dog. Dogs have distinct personalities that may cause them to react to leashes differently, but there are techniques you can implement to ensure they love the leash you buy.
The PetsAlly Retractable Dog Leash comes with three Ebooks designed to promote a positive relationship between you and your dog. Read through them for tips and guides, so you can feel confident your dog is happy on and off the leash.
These ten options for retractable dog leashes should give a better idea of what will work best for you and your dog, creating a delightful walking experience. If you have any questions or are interested in other product reviews, please feel free to contact me at any time.
Should My Retractable Leash be Reflective?
Retroreflective sheeting tape, which is better known as just reflective leash material, is a great idea if you plan on taking your dog out for walks at night. It’s been scientifically proven to increase the nighttime visibility of your leash and pretty much anything else.
Basically, this is the same substance that they put on road signs so you can see them when your headlights catch them. Having it on your leash ensures that any oncoming vehicles will see you and hopefully avoid you in the process.
Do Retractable Leashes Satisfy Leash Laws?
Leash laws in each state are very different, but your new retractable leash should satisfy every single one you’ll run into. As long as you keep your leash short enough, you can even walk your dog with one in urban areas.
Municipal laws sometimes stipulate a certain length for dog leashes. If that’s the case, then you can just lock a retractable leash on whatever setting local laws stipulate.