Just like other household gadgets that employ technology to maximize comfort and security, electronic dog doors try to achieve just that.
These doors bring you peace of mind by allowing only your dog to walk in or out. So, no more uninvited guests in your house.
There are many electronic doors out there, however, in this article, we’ll bring you the best rated electronic dog door. We’ll also explore how you should choose the one that suits you best.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Best Rated Electronic Dog Door
- Things to Consider Before Buying the Electronic Dog Door
- About the Brands
Best Rated Electronic Dog Door
One of the keys to the success of a product is what people say about it and how they react to it. Accordingly, we brought you a list of the most rated electronic doors in the market.
PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor
One of the main reasons why this product is so popular is because it comes from a renowned American manufacturer, PetSafe.
This electronic dog door works on batteries, so that you won’t worry about your energy consumption.
The product comes with 5 SmartKey collars. The idea is that the door will only open for pets that are wearing this collar. This highly customizable option allows for up to 5 pets. Moreover, The door can be easily installed on any door or wall.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR PET’S ACCESS: The SmartDoor features programmable selective entry, exit and auto-locking options
- PEACE OF MIND: The SmartDoor works with the waterproof SmartKey worn on your pet's collar; only the pets wearing the SmartKey can go in and out
- MULTIPLE PETS: Great for households with multiple pets; programmable for up to 5 SmartKeys
- BATTERY OPERATED: The SmartDoor is battery operated (4 D-Cell Batteries, not included)
- DOOR INSTALLATION: Designed for installation in interior/exterior doors; wall installation option available with purchase of Wall Install Kit
- Comes in different sizes
- Frequently change batteries
- Comes without warranty
- Not optimal for large dogs
This product’s main focus was on the peace of mind of the owner. This is why the door comes with 3 fully programmable modes that allow you to switch between locked, unlocked and automatic mode.
SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
This electronic door can be considered the most innovative product on our list. Mainly because it can be programmed to work with your dog’s already attached microchip.
This technology was developed by the manufacturer, therefore, there is no other product that has this feature.
In case the dog doesn’t have a microchip, the door comes with an RFID tag that you can attach to the collar.
This model also employs a curfew mode which opens the door only during a set amount of time. This is technology at its finest. You get full control in the easiest way possible.
- SELECTIVE ENTRY PET DOOR: Scans on ENTRY ONLY. Uses RFID to read your pet’s implanted ID microchip, allowing your pet access without letting in stray animals—learns up to 32 identities; programmable collar tags are sold separately for pets without microchips. SIMPLE ONE BUTTON Programming. Helps prevent intruder animals from entering your home. SET CURFEW TIME!: Program the door to lock and unlock at specified times. RESTRICTED ENTRY ONLY - any animal can exit.
- MICROCHIP COMPATIBILITY: Works with 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers; if unsure of your pet’s microchip number, you can check with your veterinarian, pet shelter or animal rescue.
- DOOR OPENING: The Microchip Pet Door Flap opening is 6 11/16” (H) by 7” (W) and can be installed in doors, windows or walls – accessories are available from SureFlap.
- BATTERY POWERED: Uses 4 C non-rechargeable alkaline batteries (not included); estimated battery life up to 12 months depending on use. LOW BATTERY INDICATOR: Light flashes red when batteries are low and indicates batteries will need to be replaced soon.
- PERFECT GIFT: The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is a great gift for small dog breeds and cat lover’s – making safe spaces and homes for their pets. Three Year Warranty.
- Comes with 3-years warranty
- Works on batteries, no electric consumption
- Can be installed anywhere
- Not suitable for large dogs
- Complicated to understand at first
- Only restricts who comes in. All pets can go out
With the proliferation of microchips, all you have to do is to program this door to know your dog’s signature.
There’s also the Sure Petcare App that allows you to set permission for which pets would you like to enter or exit from your house.
High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door
This door works with ultrasonic technology. Think of it as the sliding glass door that opens for you at retail stores.
The door simply works when your dog approaches with the ultrasonic gadget attached to the collar.
Unless your dog is actually moving towards the door, it won’t open. This means that if your dog is sleeping next to the door it still won’t open.
There are 4 different modes to choose from: In Only, Out Only, Full Access, or Closed and Locked.
- Motor driven vertically-sliding door is activated by MS-4 ultrasonic collar
- Directional sensing system opens the door only when your pet is on a direct approach, not when he is just wandering by or sleeping next to the door
- 4-way access control lets you select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed & Locked
- Wind and weatherproof with airtight seal; automatic deadbolt locking adds a level of security higher than any other pet door
- Panel size: 8-1/4 by 10-inch for cats and dogs up to 30-pound
- Weatherproof because of the airtight seal
- Suitable for large dogs
- Highly adjustable modes
- Opens vertically, takes large space
- Better manufacturing material could be used
- Noise can be heard when opening
An important feature of this door is that it can work on both AC and batteries. You can also buy a charger kit. This eliminates the need for the AC adapter.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Electronic Dog Door
So many products out there claim that they offer both innovation and comfort. However, there’s more to smart doors than just that.
Before you decide on which door to buy you should bear in mind factors such as security, budget range control modes, and most importantly, the size.
Additional features to look out for include being weatherproof, the number of pets that can be programmed, and the warranty. However, the more features you have in your door, the more it will cost you.
Therefore, you need to think thoroughly about your priorities, and which option will fit your pet most.
About the Brands
The 3 above-mentioned products all come from reputable brands that have been in the market for a long time. Here’s a quick glimpse at each of them.
PetSafe identifies itself as the “largest manufacturer of electronic pet training products in the US”. They have been in the market since 1991. The mother company is the giant Radio Systems Corporation, home to many pets brands all over the world.
They pride themselves in the extensive research and innovation that has marked their products throughout the years. PetSafe’s products are available in 52 countries.
High Tech Pet
Founded in 1986 by a group of engineers, this brand is considered one of the earliest and most trusted manufacturers of electronic pet products.
Their understanding of the market has allowed them to develop unique products and systems. One of the most famous systems they have is the Pulsed Proportional Stimulus concerned with dog’s safety around fences.
Previously known as SureFlap, the company’s most significant innovation was their patented microchip reading technology. This uses the pet’s existing microchip to connect it to other devices, such as the electronic doors.
The brand includes several product lines that are integral to the company’s ongoing successful strategy. These products include: SureFlap, SureFeed, and SureSense.
How to Get the Size Right?
To decide on the most suitable door size you must first measure your dog. Using a measuring tape, reach to the widest part in your dog’s body. This part is usually around the shoulders.
Do the same for your dog’s height. Compare it to the door’s dimensions and choose a door slightly bigger than your dog.
Is Installing an Electronic Door More Difficult Than Traditional Ones?
There isn’t any huge difference between them. However, if the door that you picked needs an internal power source, then, we recommend that you consult an expert or get it done by a professional.
Overall, the instructions book and the videos that you can find on the product’s page will walk you through the process step by step.
So, no need to fret. If you know how to install a traditional door, then you definitely will know how to do this one as well.
Opting for an electronic dog door is definitely an upgrade and a step towards a more hassle-free household.
Although the options are endless, we brought you the market’s top-rated products in one list.
We hope this helps you cut through the crowd and select the door that best suits you and your little friend!