Any dog parent can attest to the importance of owning a dog crate! From house-breaking to travel, dog crates are always a handy product to have.
They come in different shapes and sizes, depending on what you need. In this article, we’ve fetched the six best plastic dog crates on the market today and added full reviews of each one.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Things to Consider Before Buying
It’s always best to learn what to look for when buying a crate for your canine friend.
Your dog must be able to move comfortably and sit up without hitting his or her head at the top. Dogs also need to be able to stretch out their legs when sleeping on their sides.
For these reasons, you should measure the height and width of your dog and keep those numbers in mind when shopping.
Dogs are escape artists in disguise and they’ll try their best to exit the crate, often by biting. This is more likely if the dog is still not used to crates or is anxious.
That’s why it’s crucial that the dog crate you choose has no sharp metal endings or jagged finishing that may seriously injure your canine buddy.
Dogs are active animals and aren’t used to being confined into small spaces.
Before taking your dog for a trip, it’s important that they be well-accustomed to the crate.
It will take some getting used to, but training your dog to get comfortable will do wonders for both of you.
Air travel requirements may differ from one airline to another, but all airlines mostly have to adhere to the same regulations.
The Best Plastic Dog Crates
These are the top six best plastic dog crates on the market today. Along with our reviews.
- Extra Security: 4 way vault door provides extra security for the travel dog crate by preventing sliding and shifting (available on 36 inch size and up)
- Durable, Heavy Duty Construction: Durable plastic shell, non corrodible wing nuts, extra strong steel wire, and interlocking door provide heavy duty protection
- 363 Degree Ventilation: Ventilation openings surrounding the travel kennel give pets fresh air and visibility from all sides
- Travel Necessities Included: Portable dog kennel includes 2 Live Animal stickers, clip on bowls and ID stickers for easy modification for travel. Top Handle available on 21 inch and 28 inch sizes
- Airline Adaptable: The Petmate Sky Kennel meets most airline cargo specifications for easy and safe travel, but pet owners should always check with individual airlines
This is a sturdy dog crate that can easily withstand large amounts of weight. The smallest size, which is the 21 inch, can carry weight up to 15 pounds.
The material is high-strength plastic, which makes it a durable crate that can handle bumps. It also features tough wire doors that interlock for extra security.
The crate also comes with 360 wire ventilation, which ensures your dog has constant access to proper airflow.
- Includes 2 “Live Animal” stickers and pet ID stickers
- Plastic nuts and bolts aren’t IATA airline compliant
- Two-door, top-load model allows for easy loading of your cat or dog
- Top door can open to the left or right for easy access and convenience
- Included screws can be used to further secure the top and bottom of kennel for added reinforcement
- Made of durable plastic with a steel-wire front door and plenty of ventilation on sides, top, and back of crate
- Recommended for small breeds such as Boston Terriers and Beagles (12 - 25 lbs)
This affordable two-door dog crate comes in two sizes.
The largest size measures at 23x15x13 inches and can hold small dogs that are 12 inches tall or less.
The steel-wire front door is durable, which would serve you well if your dog is highly energetic and isn’t yet accustomed to a crate.
The crate also comes with a top door that opens to both the left and right. While this feature may prove useful during road trips and house use, it doesn’t comply with airline regulations.
- Comes in grey and blue
- Easy to assemble
- Not compliant with airline regulations
- Hard Sided Pet Carrier; Spree is suitable for XS Breed dog carrier, cat carrier, small bird carrier & small animal carrier for quick trips to Vet, pet store, etc
- Pet carrier interior dimensions: 20.70L x 13.22W x 14.09H Inches & doorway measures 8.54W x 8.85H Inches
- Pet carrier is available in 3 fun & fashionable colors & the design provides proper air circulation / visibility for your pet. The Spree Pet Carrier is ideal for short trips
- Pet carrier made of durable, easy to clean plastic & includes built in carrying handle. The 22 inch Spree is ideal for x small Breed dogs and average size house cats
- Pet carrier / pet kennel has quick & easy 5 step assembly w/ no tools required. Spree Pet Carrier includes 1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
This aesthetically-pleasing dog crate comes in three different colors and two sizes.
The crate’s largest model has the interior measurements of 20x13x14 inches. It mostly suits smaller breeds such as chihuahuas and mini Yorkies, and is ideal for car trips.
This MidWest crate is also well-ventilated and easy to assemble.
- Easy to clean
- The door opens in either direction
- Not suitable for flights
- SMALL DOG KENNEL: This cat & dog kennel features a 2-way door that opens on either side for easy pet access and ventilated sides for maximum visibility & air flow. Perfect for dogs 10-20 lbs. Measures: 24"
- TRAVEL KENNEL: Portable kennel has a durable construction & door latches for security. The pet carrier meets most airline cargo specifications for easy sky travel & has a carrying handle for transport.
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
This model comes in six sizes, which means it’ll likely fit your dog well. No matter his or her size.
The crate is made with heavy-duty plastic and includes a metallic door, both of which offer a stable outer shell to withstand the turbulence of transport and air travel.
It also features plenty of ventilation openings that allow for increased visibility and constant airflow.
- Available in many sizes
- Meets most airline cargo specifications
- Relatively expensive
- Handles are available only with the 19” and 24” crates
- For kennel trained pets only | Your dog measurements should not exceed 32” Long x 24” High | See size chart photos and video to help understand correct way to measure your dog
- Kennel dimensions – 35.5" L x 23.8” W x 26.8” H | Interior Usable dimensions – 32.25” L x 21” W x 25.25” H | Entrance dimensions – 12.25” W x 20.25” H | Weight limit – 140 lbs. | Weight – 20 lbs. | Fits beds – 33” L
- Sturdy and durable plastic construction makes for easy assembly | Wheels snap on and off as needed
- IATA airline approved. 2 dishes, 4 live animal stickers, metal bolts and nuts included | Tie down holes for bungees required by airlines
- Before flying with your pet, please check with your airline to confirm additional regulations
This crate is sturdy and customizable and comes in six various sizes.
It also includes two bowls, four “Live Animal” stickers, and metal nuts and bolts, all of which are important airline regulations that need to be met.
Another air travel rule to follow is that the crate cannot include wheels. While this model includes wheels in all but one of its sizes, the wheels are perfectly removable.
- Removable wheels offer convenient customization
- Comes with tie-down holes for bungees
- Wheels may be fragile, according to some customer reviews
- One-handed latch operation, Access door opens from either side
- Includes 1 removable food and water tray
- Ample ventilation for pet and folding carry handle for easy transportation and travel
- Weight Capacity: up to 44 lbs.
- Dimensions: 26.40"L x 18.50"W x 20.00"H
The IRIS Deluxe crate comes in two colors and four sizes, with a maximum weight capacity of 75 lbs.
This model also comes with metal nuts and bolts, as well as one detachable bowl that could be used for food or water. Both of these features are two of the many regulations for airline travel.
However, it’s recommended that you check with your chosen airline as they may have extra regulations you should know about.
- The handle is foldable for better fitting
- The door comes with spring-loaded latches for extra security
- Doesn’t include “Live Animal” stickers in case of air travel
There are many plastic dog crates available depending on the needs of you and your dog.
From this list of the top six plastic dog crates, our number one choice would be the Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier. It has many key features such as ventilation and durability.
While the plastic nuts and bolts may not comply with IATA regulations, you can easily replace them with same-sized metal ones if you’re considering air travel.
The most important thing to remember when using a dog crate is to take the time to acclimate your dog to it before a car ride or flight.