Fed up with constantly shooing away strays or unwanted rodents that enter through your cat flap and desperate to make it stop? Well, you’re in the right place.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the best electronic cat door to help you make the best choice for your next purchase. Without further ado, let’s begin!
Table of Contents
The Top 5 Best Electronic Cat Door
Traditional cat flaps can pose a few concerns. For instance, it could potentially let all kinds of other rodents or critters in your house. A burglar might even invite themselves in if your cat door is large enough! We certainly don’t want that.
Here are our handpicked options for the best electronic cat doors available today.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Cat Mate Microchip Cat Flap – Best for Ease of Installation
Cat Mate makes it their responsibility to be mindful of the quality of every product they create. As one of the biggest leading manufacturers of innovative products for pets, Pet Mate certainly outdid themselves with this electronic cat door.
The Cat Mate Microchip Cat Flap is one of the most secure electronic dog doors money can buy. This product operates primarily by your cat’s implanted RFID microchip or collar tag, which prevents the unwelcome intrusion of neighboring cats, stray, and wild animals.
You can register up to 30 different cats with microchips with this electronic cat door. A4-Way manual override lock is installed for controlled entry and exit, and the opening is fitted with a transparent flap made from highly durable polymer.
In addition to this, its brush sealed flap with magnetic closure ensures a draft-proof and weather-proof seal.
SaleCat Mate Microchip activated Cat Flap | for up to 30 Cats, White
- Entry operated by your cat’s implanted RFID microchip or collar tag – assurance to keep stray pets and wildlife out
- Easy to program and register up to 30 cats with microchips, with additional rotary 4-Way manual override lock for controlled entry and exit
- Can be installed in doors, windows, and walls for most cats, with larger 145mm (w) x 145mm (h) flap opening
- Requires 4 x AA batteries (not included) which will give approximately 12 months of trouble-free operation
- US and UK based telephone customer service teams available to aid you with reliable installation, commissioning and troubleshooting
What We Like
- Easy installation
- Works well in keeping rogue animals out
- Programming is made very simple with the provided instructions
- Batteries are replaceable and last a long time (12 months)
- Excellent cat flap for a great price.
What We Don’t Like
- Microchips with 10 digits and lettered characters aren’t compatible with this electronic cat door
- The scanning/ lock unlatch mechanism works inconsistently
SureFlap – Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap – Best Electronic Microchip Cat Door
SureFlap – Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap offers all of the features you’d want in an electronic cat door. It’s compatible with almost all microchips worldwide, including 9, 10, and 15 digit microchip numbers.
This cat flap is app-controlled and can register up to 32 different microchips. The sensitivity of the door can easily be adjusted and is only activated when your cat enters and pushes the flap with their little head.
A SmartKey collar can be used in place of a microchip if your cat doesn’t own one just yet.
As for security, this cat door has a selective feature that allows any animal to exit the door from the inside, but only with approved animals. All of these options can be adjusted anywhere, anytime, on your Sure Petcare App.
A Hub is included with this product, which allows you to send and receive information from the Cat Flap Connect to the Sure Petcare app all with the help of your home router.
There are a total of five timers available in this cat door, all with different modes and locking options. You can give your cat full freedom to enter and go as he pleases, or at only certain times a day. You can also set a “curfew” timer, which locks the door until morning comes.
This cat door comes at a slightly higher price range than any of those in this list. But with all the features and convenience it provides, this is certainly a solid price for a smart pet door. Plus, it comes with a three-year warranty! It doesn’t get better than that.
For a more affordable option, SureFlap sells the same exact door without the smart Hub for less.
SureFlap Microchip Cat Door Connect with Hub Bundle
- MICROCHIP CAT DOOR CONNECT lets you stay connected to your pets from anywhere. Combined with the SureFlap Hub and Sure Petcare app, it enables you to keep updated on your cats’ comings and goings, to see what they really are up to when you’re away from home! Helps you understand their behavior and patterns better.
- SCAN AND CONTROLS ON ENTRY AND EXIT: Dualscan Technology lets you set exit permissions for each cat. SCAN AND CONTROLS ON ENTRY AND EXIT. Using RFID technology to read your pet’s implanted ID microchip, allowing your pet access without letting in stray animals—learns up to 32 identities; Programmable RFID collar tags are sold separately for pets without microchips. SIMPLE ONE BUTTON Programming. LOCK AND UNLOCK CAT DOOR REMOTELY via the Sure Petcare App.
- DOOR OPENING: The Microchip Cat Door Flap opening is 5 5/8" (w) by 4 3/4" (h) and can be installed in doors, windows or walls – accessories are available from SureFlap. MICROCHIP COMPATIBILITY: Works with 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers; if unsure of your pet’s microchip number, you can check with your veterinarian, pet shelter or animal rescue.
- BATTERY POWERED: Uses 4 AA non-rechargeable alkaline batteries (not included); estimated battery life up to 12 months depending on use. LOW BATTERY INDICATOR: Light flashes red when batteries are low and indicates batteries will need to be replaced soon.
- The SureFlap Microchip Cat Door is a great gift for small dog breeds and cat lover’s – making safe spaces and homes for their pets. THREE YEAR WARRANTY.
What We Like
- Easy installation
- Sturdy and well-made
- Instructions are easy to follow
- Microchip scan is perfectly responsive
- Long battery life (up to 12 months)
- Great for small cats and dogs
What We Don’t Like
- The door clicks open quite loudly
- Isn’t the best for bigger/chubbier cats
PetSafe New Wall Entry Microchip RFID Pet Door – Best Affordable Option
If you own a pet, you’ve most likely heard of the company PetSafe. PetSafe is known to be a global leader in innovative pet products for nearly 30 years, with customer service second to none.
They’re a great company with great products, so it’s really no surprise that PetSafe’s Interior and Exterior Cat Door is one of the most popular electronic doors you can buy online.
There are two versions of this door; one which comes with a standard, non-electric 4-Way lock door, and another which uses a microchip 4-Way lock. We’re going to be discussing the latter.
This electronic door allows selective entry to your cat, and 39 other programmed pets, the freedom to come and go as they please.
The security in this door is impressive and entirely secure, so you don’t have to worry about those pesky raccoons or unexpected stray visitors anymore.
And finally, it features 2 magnetic locking points and an energy-efficient weather striping mechanic. This prevents drafts from seeping indoors and increases your home’s insulation.
Tunnel extensions and a key fob with built-in authentication for cats without microchips can be purchased separately.
SalePetSafe Microchip Cat Door - RFID Chip ID Access Programmable Up to 40 Pets - Interior or Exterior Door with Energy-Efficient Flap - 4-Way Locking Design - Freedom and Privacy for Your Pet
- GIVE YOUR CAT THE KEY: This door reads your cat’s unique 15-digit microchip ID and only allows access to the programmed pet; programmable collar keys are sold separately for cats without microchips
- SELECTIVE ENTRY FOR YOUR CAT: Give your cat (and up to 39 other programmed pets) exclusive freedom to come and go while restricting the entry of unwanted animals (like those clever raccoons)
- LOCK WHEN YOU NEED TO: The manual 4-way lock allows you to control your cat’s access, allowing you to lock it at night to keep your kitty safe inside; set to ‘Locked, ‘Unlocked’, ‘Enter Only’ or ‘Exit Only’
- PROTECT YOUR HOME FROM THE ELEMENTS: The energy-efficient weather stripping and 2 magnetic locking points increase insulation and stop drafts from creeping indoors
- FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE: When you’re stuck late at work (or just sleeping in on Saturday), your cat will still have the freedom to let herself in and out of the house
What We Like
- Reliable customer service
- Simple control mechanisms
- Very responsive to microchips
- Sound and waterproof
- Dust-resistant design
What We Don’t Like
- Doesn’t have a noise reduction system
- Installation is a bit difficult
High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door – Best Luxury Electronic Cat Door
Looking for a more high-tech option? Check out Pet Electronic Pet Door by the aptly named company HighTech.
This door is available in two sizes, medium and large, and includes a 4-Way access control setting where you can give your cat full, in/out only access, or locked access.
Compared to other electronic doors, this one doesn’t have a flap. The door slides open vertically, and it’s entirely motor driven, so you never have to worry about your cat accidentally snipping her tail in the door’s flap ever again.
This door uses the high-frequency sound that’s programmed in the provided MS-5 ultrasonic collar key to open the door. And best of all, it’s perfectly inaudible. Finally, no clicking sounds to be heard while sleeping at night!
Another great feature is this door’s airtight system that holds up well in even the most severe weather conditions. This one’s truly one of a kind. Perfectly well-made, and as reliable as any electronic pet door can be.
SaleHigh Tech Pet Power Pet Medium Electronic Pet Door PX-1
- Motor driven vertically-sliding door is activated by MS-4 ultrasonic collar
- Directional sensing system opens the door only when your pet is on a direct approach, not when he is just wandering by or sleeping next to the door
- 4-way access control lets you select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed & Locked
- Wind and weatherproof with airtight seal; automatic deadbolt locking adds a level of security higher than any other pet door
- Panel size: 8-1/4 by 10-inch for cats and dogs up to 30-pound
What We Like
- Comes with an ultrasonic pet collar key with no extra cost
- Features an automatic deadbolt locking for increased security
- Has a reliable directional sensing system that won’t open in case your cat happens to sleep by the door
- Great fit for both small and large pets
- Door works well
- Overall excellent product with great specs
What We Don’t Like
- Doesn’t have a built-in timer feature
- Comes with a high price tag
PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor – Best Electronic SmartKey Cat Door
Another great product from PetSafe. Unlike the aforementioned PetSafe product Microchip RFID Pet Door we’ve reviewed earlier today, this electronic door activates with PetSafe’s SmartKey, which comes at no extra cost to you.
The SmartKey is both waterproof and water submersible, so you don’t have to worry about rainy days or forgetting to remove your cat’s collar when she accidentally falls in a wet puddle or pool.
Featuring a programmable selective entry, including exit and auto-locking options, this smart door is sure to give you peace of mind as only pets with registered SmartKeys are allowed to enter.
This door comes in two sizes, small and large. The price solely depends on the option you select, but both have the same exact features and are designed for pets up to 100 pounds.
SalePetSafe Electronic SmartDoor - Collar Activated Dog and Cat Door - Small to Large Pets
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR PET’S ACCESS: The SmartDoor features programmable selective entry, exit and auto-locking options
- PEACE OF MIND: The SmartDoor works with the waterproof SmartKey worn on your pet's collar; only the pets wearing the SmartKey can go in and out
- MULTIPLE PETS: Great for households with multiple pets; programmable for up to 5 SmartKeys
- BATTERY OPERATED: The SmartDoor is battery operated (4 D-Cell Batteries, not included)
- DOOR INSTALLATION: Designed for installation in interior/exterior doors; wall installation option available with purchase of Wall Install Kit
What We Like
- Easy to install
- Perfectly responsive scanning system
- 4 D-Cell batteries last up to 12 months
- Solid door for a great price
What We Don’t Like
- Timable lock option isn’t available
- Programmable only for up to 5 SmartKeys
- Key may be too big for smaller cats/dogs
Things to Consider Before Getting an Electronic Cat Door
Before purchasing an electronic cat door, take note of the following factors to ensure you’re buying the right one for you.
Door’s Directional Sensitivity
This refers to the unlocking system of the electronic door.
You don’t want the electronic cat door to open each time your pet strolls by or when your cat rests close to the entryway. A directional detecting system allows the door to smartly stay locked if it doesn’t detect your pet’s intention to go out.
Alongside this, the sensitivity of the door is important to prevent locking your cat indoors as well. Some doors either lag or don’t open at all, which deems it virtually useless.
When selecting your pet door, don’t forget to measure your pet to ensure you’re getting the right size!
Not all pet doors can easily accommodate larger breeds of cats and dogs, and you especially don’t need a larger-than-necessary door if your cat is small. With pet doors, we’d normally cut a new hole onto our doors or wall, so it’s essential to measure the right size before going to the point of no return.
Some of the brands listed above, like the High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door and the PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor, come in small, medium, and large. Consider these options if you have a chubby or bigger cat, or if you have another pet like a dog in the house.
The ease of the door’s installation is another factor to consider. Most electronic cat doors come with installation guides or videos on how to install the door, but it’s inevitable to have some doors harder to install than others.
This is important because it’ll allow you to decide whether you’re going to install the door yourself or have a contractor do it for you. That, of course, requires money, so make sure it fits your budget. Standard installation may cost an average of $100-$400, depending on the size of your door.
This refers to the control the electric door gives you. Some doors have 2-Way access control, and some have 4-Way access.
2-Way access allows two modes: completely unlocked and completely locked.
4-Way access allows four modes: completely unlocked, completely locked, in-only and out-only access.
Microchip or SmartKey
A cat’s microchip is implanted through a syringe underneath the skin and is more or less permanent. SmartKeys, on the other hand, comes with a built-in chip inside your cat’s collar, and, can be removed at any time.
Some sat doors come with microchip-only compatible, SmartKey-only compatible, like PetSafe’s Electronic Smart Door, and with both, like the Sure Petcare and Cat Mate Microchip Cat Flap
Make sure what’s best for you before buying a cat door, as this will be your cat’s main “key” of identification.
Frequently Asked Questions
Know a little more about electronic cat doors here.
How do you know which size cat door to get for your cat?
Follow these three steps:
Step 1: Measure the width of your cat, making sure you’re measuring the widest part which is commonly the chest of hips.
Step 2: Measure your cat’s height from her shoulders to the bottom of her chest or belly, whichever taller.
Step 3: Select the size of the door based on your cat’s weight and height, making sure to give the door a few inches in between.
Are Electronic Cat Doors better than Manual Doors?
Both doors serve their purpose, but electronic pet doors have something manual doors don’t: security.
Electronic pet doors only unlock when they detect your dog or cat, which ensures rodents and unwanted strays out of your house. They also have automatic locking features that you can easily control.
The only downside is that they can be a bit pricey. However, with every good product, there comes a price. And your pet’s security should come second to none.
Are Electronic Doors a safety risk?
Electronic doors are made with the utmost security and safety in mind. These doors, once locked, can’t be opened. It acts as burglar barriers as well, especially since it’s made of very hard plastic or metal.
The aluminum frames that oftentimes surround the electronic door, provide security themselves.
Electronic cat doors provide a safer way for cats to access the house. There’s a wide variety of different types of cat doors to be purchased at a click of the hand, so it’s essential to choose one that will suit all your needs.
Our personal choice is the SureFlap Microchip Cat Door Connect. This ingenious invention makes it very convenient for pet owners to control their pet’s access, all at the comfort of your phone.
Once you’ve selected an electronic cat door that best corresponds to your needs, you’ll find that it’ll be one of those products that will become irreplaceable in your house.