Dog grooming clippers are available in a variety of styles, makes, and models. With such a huge selection to choose from, making a choice can be quite daunting. The following review is intended to make the decision-making process simple.
There are a few key factors that will determine which are the best dog grooming clippers for your four-legged friend.
Ultimately, you will need to take the type of coat your dog has as well as the length and thickness of the coat into consideration, before making your purchase.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Quick Product Comparison
- The 4 Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- #1 – Top Pick – Maxshop Low Noise Rechargeable Cordless Pet Dogs and Cats Electric Clippers Grooming Trimming Kit Set (Gold+Black)
- #2 – Runner Up If Top Pick Not Available – Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Pet Grooming Kit 16 pc. set #9484-300
- #3 – Best Heavy Duty for Long Hair/Thick Coats – Oster Professional Turbo A5 2-Speed Heavy Duty Detachable Blade Animal Clipper
- #4 – Best for Professional Groomers (Longer Lasting) – Wahl Dog/Pet Home Grooming Lithium Ion Pro-Series Rechargeable Clipper Kit #9766
- Before Choosing Clippers
- How do the best dog grooming clippers work?
- What are Dog Grooming Clippers?
- Bottom Line – what are the best clippers for dogs?
Quick Product Comparison
The 4 Best Dog Grooming Clippers
#1 – Top Pick – Maxshop Low Noise Rechargeable Cordless Pet Dogs and Cats Electric Clippers Grooming Trimming Kit Set (Gold+Black)
- 【Ultra-Quiet Design】The pet grooming tool equipped with precision and powerful motor, low vibration, and ultra-quiet design free it from work noise with only about 50 dB, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid haircut any more.
- 【Built-in Rechargeable Battery & Cordless Design】The pet grooming kit is equipped with a USB charger. Charging for five hours, it can sustain uses of 70 minutes. Lightweight and cordless design for easy use, with the cordless clipper, you can no longer be bothered by the trouble of replacing batteries or boring wires.
- 【Complete Kit for Hair Trimmer】Our dog grooming kit equipped with 4 attachment guide combs (3mm/6mm/9mm/12mm) for length control. The detachable guide combs make for quick, easy comb changes and increased versatility.
- 【Sharp Clipping Blade and Washable】The dog hair trimmer comes with sharp stainless steel fixed blade and moving blade provide excellent cutting performance, easily trim through all kinds of pets hair. Detachable blades for ease of changing and cleaning.
- 【NOTIFICATION】If your pet has long and thick hair, like German shepherds, Havana, Himalayan, Yorkie, you need to use scissors (included) cut part of them at first, otherwise the clippers will jam up and don't work properly. Due to the shipping restrictions, your package does not include oil accessories, hope you can understand.
This is one of the most widely used dog grooming clippers on the market. It is versatile and can be used on various types of coats. If using it on long-haired dogs, it is recommended that you trim it down with a pair of scissors before using the clippers. This item is designed for ease of use:
The maximum noise output is 50 decimals, which makes it ideal for pet owners with high-strung pets. This also gives you a quiet grooming experience. The clipper is also extremely efficient making it easy to cut even the thickest of coats. This state-of-the-art clipper is suitable for various dog breeds, even ones with thick coats. The up-to-date technology ensures that the tugging and pulling sensation that is characteristic of most human hair clippers is eliminated, ensuring that your dog has the best possible experience while being groomed.
The machine consists of stainless steel blades which are durable and last for long periods of time before signs of rust appear. You can also have the blades sharpened. The clipper comes complete with four different-sized combs that make it easy to cut your dog’s coat at various lengths. So you can use them to give your pet’s coat a thinning effect, or simply take off chunks of hair at a time. The combs are designed specifically for dog coats and measure between 3mm to 12mm in length.
One of the main advantages of this unit is that it is lightweight and cordless. This also makes it extremely portable. It comes with a charger and after a few hours of charging, you can use it for about an hour and a half before it needs to be charged again. The wireless feature is indeed practical as most pet owners need to twist and turn to keep their pets still for the grooming process. So the fact that there aren’t any cords to twist around is great.
Although the blades are stainless steel and remain sharp for quite some time after use, they can still be removed and sharpened if you wish. This is a versatile dog grooming clipper that works well with most breeds such as German shepherds, Yorkies, Border Collies, and English sheepdogs, however for shaggier breeds, it is recommended that you trim down the coat with a pair of scissors before using the clippers.
Overall speaking, this unit has a great design, it’s lightweight and easy to use, but it is not intended for heavy-duty grooming of dogs with very thick coats or excessive use.
#2 – Runner Up If Top Pick Not Available – Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Pet Grooming Kit 16 pc. set #9484-300
- The Deluxe U-Clip pet clipper and grooming kit is ideal to clip, trim, and groom fine to medium animal hair and fur for dogs, cats, and other pets.
- Ideal for Yorkies, Cavaliers, Shih Tzus, Spaniels, Maltese, and other medium-duty pet fur clipping, trimming, and grooming of paws, face, ears, touch-ups, and light-body clipping.
- Powerful speeds up to 7, 200 strokes per minute make clipping quick and easy; this clipper provides substantial power and speed without producing additional heat or noise.
- This 16-piece kit offers a standard adjustable #30-15-10 blade (Wahl #1037-400) and includes all the tools needed to clip, trim, and groom your pet.
- Measures 6. 5 by 2 inches and weighs 1 pound. The Clipper and blade are made in the USA of domestic and imported parts.
This item is considered by many dog groomers to be one of the best dog grooming clippers on the market. It is designed to be lightweight but durable as well. Although it is considered a medium-duty clipper, the item still packs a punch and is ideal for various types of dog coats. The motor is designed to deliver the required amount of power in cases of thicker than expected fur. The cutting speed is equivalent to 7200 strokes per minute. The stainless steel blades are considered high performance making this machine suitable for pet owners and ideal for pet grooming professionals as well. According to the manufacturer, this medium-duty dog grooming clipper will work wonders on dogs with thin to medium thickness coats. You may also attempt to use it on dogs with thick coats, however, trimming or cutting down with a pair of scissors is required to deliver better results.
Wahl is a household name that is associated with great quality human hair clippers and thanks to this credibility, pet owners trust any similar product created by this company. Included in the sale is an apron, set of combs, and an instructional DVD which really adds value to the purchase. According to Wahl, these dog grooming clippers are best used on Maltese Poodles, Labradors, and Spaniels. You can basically use it on any breed of dog with medium to fine fur.
#3 – Best Heavy Duty for Long Hair/Thick Coats – Oster Professional Turbo A5 2-Speed Heavy Duty Detachable Blade Animal Clipper
- Animal clippers deliver more strokes per minute and a wider blade sweep for faster clipping
- Powerful, heavy-duty universal motor delivers 2 speeds: 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM
- Clipper is ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock. Compatible with Oster A5 detachable Cryogen-X blades, and Elite Cryogen-X and Take Down Quick Wide blade series
- Detachable A5 blade system makes blade changes quick and easy
- Includes detachable #10 CryogenX blade, blade oil, clipper grease, cleaning brush, and replacement carbon brushes
Although many people are fooled by the slim design, this clipper is heavy-duty. For those pet owners who are concerned about whether the other clippers mentioned are powerful enough to adequately groom their dog, this machine is definitely one to consider. This machine is rated heavy duty and can easily groom livestock and horses. It has a 2-speed motor and delivers between 3000 to 4000 strokes per minute. It also gives an impressive first cut or basically gets the job done the first time around. Blade changes are quick and easy with the detachable blade system. This machine is suitable for all breeds, whether they have fine hair or thick hair. It is not wireless, but what it lacks in mobility it more than makes up for in durability and productivity.
#4 – Best for Professional Groomers (Longer Lasting) – Wahl Dog/Pet Home Grooming Lithium Ion Pro-Series Rechargeable Clipper Kit #9766
- 2 Hour Run Time - Allows for multiple grooming sessions with your pet before needing a recharge; wireless operation provides exceptional power & doesn't sacrifice on power
- Quick Charging – Equipped with 15 minute quick charge for instant power, 3-5-hours for a full charge; lithium-ion battery holds charge for up to a year without any memory issues. Powerful, quiet motor
- Self-Sharpening Precision Blades – Provide snag-free cutting, our high-carbon blades remain sharp for smooth grooming that creates a pleasant experience for your pet; Pro quality at home means less trips to the professional dog groomer
- Add to Cart - Easy, cost-effective dog grooming at home. Low-noise for stress free grooming. Handles all fur up to double coats for large breeds and small dogs. Save time and money doing it yourself.
- Made in the USA - Our clippers are made from domestic & imported parts; Wahl pet Grooming kits are the brand of choice for those who seek high-quality, long-lasting pet grooming electric clipping & trimming machines
This item is considered a professional dog grooming kit. It is also created by a reputable household name and is used by pet owners and professional dog groomers alike. The machine is durable and like the Oyster, powerful as well. This cordless clipper is designed to be durable and long-lasting. It is one of the quietest clippers on the market and is extremely easy to use. It is designed to be a medium to the heavy-duty machine. If your dog has extra thick fur, ensure that you use a pair of scissors first to trim down his hair, and then use the clippers. This super-quiet machine is designed to be durable and will take care of all medium to heavy-duty grooming requirements.
Before Choosing Clippers
One of the best ways to determine which pair of clippers will work best for your dog is to research your dog’s breed. Find out all you can about your dog’s coat. This information will give you a better understanding of how to correctly groom your dog. It will also ensure that your post grooming expectations are reasonable. Grooming your dog is not just a matter of cosmetic appearance, but it needs to accommodate your dog’s health and lifestyle too. Lots of dog owners have made grooming mistakes in the past that have hurt their dogs, so by doing an ample amount of research into grooming do’s and don’ts, you will avoid these unpleasant mistakes.
Seeking advice from professional dog groomers such as animal trainers, breeders, and in some cases, a veterinarian is another great way to gather valuable information on proper dog grooming. These professionals can tell you exactly how to groom a dog based on the breed and the type of coat that they have. So once you determine what grooming methods can and cannot be used and include your personal preferences, choosing the best dog grooming clippers for the job becomes easier.
The wide variety of dog grooming clippers on offer makes it easy to choose the ideal clipper for your dog. The fact that these clippers are based on the same design and principle that human hair clippers are based on, is good to know. In most cases, manufacturers, a state which dog breed their clippers are manufactured for, so you don’t have to play the guessing game. You will also notice that each model of dog grooming clippers is designed for a specific breed of dog, taking into consideration the breed and coat type of the dog. It is also ergonomically designed to be as comfortable and convenient for human beings to use.
Before the actual grooming, you should prepare for what comes before, such as possible shampooing and drying. You should also prepare yourself for what comes after such as the cleaning up. You may also decide to do the grooming inside or outdoors if you prefer to minimize the mess.
How do the best dog grooming clippers work?
Dog grooming clippers work in much the same way as human hair clippers do. The design allows fur to pass over the snout and fall free, keeping the blades clear as they move forward.
Before you use clippers on your dog:
- Be sure to read the safety guidelines and manufacturers operating instructions
- Get your dog comfortable with the sound of the clippers. Switch it on and let it run to observe the reaction of your dog and also allow him to get used to what it sounds like so that he will be more comfortable when grooming time is at hand. If you notice that your dog is afraid of the sound and starts behaving strangely, introduce positive play experiences while the machine is on, to desensitize him to the sound.
- Your dog’s fur should be washed and dried before using the clipper. Although you may need to wash and dry him afterward especially if he has fur falling all over the place, the machine works best on a dog with clean fur.
- If you come across tangles and knots while washing your dog, use a normal pair of scissors to cut it off. This allows the machine to work much better and also delivers an even result.
- Ensure that everything you will need while washing and drying him is with you. Also, make sure that you check the machine for signs of excessive heat as this will alarm your dog.
- Keep the machine away from your dog’s face and then gradually increase and extend the length of the clip line.
What are Dog Grooming Clippers?
Dog grooming clippers are special clippers designed to cut or shave off a dog’s fur. Certain breeds do not need their fur cut, however, some breeds may require this type of grooming for mating or medical reasons. If you are not sure of whether your dog needs to be groomed or not, simply contact the local breeders association and they will confirm that for you. The grooming clippers that you choose obviously need to be suited to your dog’s breed. Since you will be using these clippers to groom your dog, make sure that it is convenient to use. Preferably, for maximum comfort choose a clipper that is noise-free, wireless, and has long and powerful battery life.
Bottom Line – what are the best clippers for dogs?
Every dog has a different type of coat. However, with the crossbreeds, all dogs’ coats fall squarely into the fine, medium, and coarse hair types. So if you have the proper information about your specific breed, you are more capable of making a well-informed decision when it comes to which dog grooming clippers to buy. Although you might be tempted to save a few bucks and get a knockoff as long as it does the job, invest in household names. If you are ever in doubt of whether a clipper will work for your dog, choose one that is heavy-duty instead of one that just might work.
The above reviews should give you an adequate amount of information to help you make a well-informed decision. So when in doubt always chose the heavy-duty clippers above all else.