Birds are curious creatures. Sometimes, your smartphone’s camera doesn’t do them justice.
This is precisely why bird cams can be so useful. All you have to do is place your camera in a strategic position and leave it to work its magic.
In this article, we’ll go through some of the best bird cams on the market, as well as other essential details. Alright, let’s dive in!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
The Best Bird Cams! Check Them Out
In this list, we’ve included some of the best-reviewed bird cams we’ve found. They’re of good quality, easy to install, and easy to use.
Birdhouse Spy Cam BCAMHEHD Hawk Eye HD Camera
It’s no surprise that this bird cam has most of the features you need. After all, it was built especially for use in birdhouses and nest boxes. So if you’re looking for compact bird box cameras with excellent video quality, the Hawk-Eye HD is an option worthy of your consideration.
Its miniature size is perfect for mounting in most bird boxes. No matter where you install it or how big the box is, you’ll be able to get a clear picture. This is because this bird cam includes a focus and lock lens that allows you to adjust the focus.
Additionally, this bird cam is equipped with an integrated night vision. What this means is that you can get a good picture no matter what time it is.
As a bonus, this camera has a built-in microphone that lets you hear baby birds crying and other bird sounds.
However, this camera isn’t wireless; it comes with a cable used for powering the camera and providing video and audio output. The cable is 100 feet wide, which is wide enough for most uses. But if you need something wider, they do sell an extension cable.
One downside with the Hawk-Eye HD is the camera has no internal memory. It provides live feed through the composite RCA cable. While you can need an HDMI adapter or USB adapter, you can easily record the video via your TV or device.
- Miniature High Definition Video Cam with 700 tvl (Television Lines) measures 1.75 x 1.75 x 1""
- Built in microphone
- Brilliant Night Vision from 10 infrared LEDs
- Comes 2, 50', detachable, AV/power cables
- Simple plug 'n play connection to TV or AV compatible computer
- Easy to install
- Provides Night Vision via 10 Infrared LEDs
- Features a built-in microphone
- The camera doesn’t record video; only offers a live feed
Green Feathers Bird House Camera
Do you have a bird box? If you do, you’re going to be pleased with this bird cam. Not only is it compatible with many different types of bird boxes, but it’s also an incredibly decent bird cam.
You don’t have to do much to connect this bird cam to a WiFi network. It’s fairly effortless. Once you do that, you can freely view live footage from your smartphone. This is due to the MicroSD slot, which allows you to capture footage directly from the device with no problem.
The footage won’t disappoint. This bird cam is able to record at 1280×960 HD. While that doesn’t offer you the highest resolution, it’s not bad quality by any means. You’re still getting clear and sharp footage.
The bird cam doesn’t neglect night vision either. Its night vision capability is largely owed to the transparent IR lights that it’s equipped with. The microphone, which is able to pick up any audible disturbances right away, is also notable.
PC recording is another handy feature this bird cam has. Using it, you can get all of your footage directly on your computer. This is done through Central Monitoring System software, which also allows for scheduled recording and motion detection.
- The UK's First HD IP Bird Box Camera
- Green Feathers brand, exclusive to SpyCameraCCTV
- Records crisp HD video with 3 times the detail of standard bird box cameras
- Tiny IP network camera connects straight to your router
- Mobile and iPad access to watch wherever you are using the app. Please note - this is UK stock, so ships with British plugs, however is fully compatible with plug adapters
- The MicroSD provides generous storage
- Impressive recording quality
- Easy to view from your iPhone or Android
- Installation can be somewhat tricky
Victure Trail Game Camera
This is a trail cam that can do it all. It can catch that cat digging into your garbage and it can easily recognize birds zooming through your backyard.
You don’t even have to worry about startling animals. The cam is quite stealthy. It’s provided with a quiet shutter sound, which means it’s 99.9 percent quiet when snapping shots of birds.
When it comes to mounting your cam, the options aren’t restricted. This is due to the power source ports, which are available externally as well as internally. This way, you can plug an adapter directly into your outlet. You can even forgo that whole deal and go for maximum portability instead of using AA batteries.
The thing about this camera is that it was designed to stand outside. What this means is that it can withstand the natural elements. It even has a waterproof IP66 casing, making rain a non-threat; rainfall won’t trickle into the lens (or anywhere else, for that matter).
- 【HIGH-DEFINITION RESOLUTION】 1080P full HD resolution and automatic day/night sensor ensure crisp, vivid images and videos that provide the realistic details you need for in-depth knowledge of game animals‘ behavior characteristics.
- 【INCREDIBLY TRIGGER SENSITIVITY】 A trigger speed of 0.5 seconds with 3 continuous shots means you’re less likely to miss capturing an image of wildlife that is quickly moving across the field of view.
- 【INVISIBLE NIGHTTIME SCOUTING】 Victure game camera takes advanced low-glow infrared LED technology and superior motion-activated sensor to produce quality black and white nighttime vision without alerting game.
- 【ENTRY-LEVEL AND USER FRIENDLY】 The easy-to-use 2.4" LCD screen with user-friendly navigation of image mode options, photo quality, video length, PIR interval, time lapse settings make it simple to customize your scouting specifications.
- 【AFFORDABLE AND BEST CHOICE】 Lower price and higher performance make this trail camera a perfect scouting GIFT for hunting, garden wildlife watching, farm burglar, home security and property surveillance. Using lithium batteries or 6V external power supply will keep it working longer.
- Can record videos at 1080p video
- Arrives ready to use out of the box
- Super easy to install
- The trigger might be too sensitive for some
APEMAN Mini Trail Camera
The great thing about this bird cam is that it’s all about convenience. It’s incredibly easy to install and equally easy to use.
However, this camera’s real advantage lies in its small size. This very size is what makes it so portable. It’s as small as your hands and can fit snugly into your palm, so you shouldn’t worry about any bulkiness here.
Anyone would love to sit around and watch their birds all day, but there’s work to be done. This camera has an array of built-in features that can really come in handy while you’re away. For example, there’s a timer and a continuous shooting feature.
Photos can be viewed for printing or email on a TV or downloaded to your phone. These photos are recorded at 16 megapixels and 1080P, providing you with exceptionally high-quality pictures and videos.
It even has an IP66 waterproof camera design. But what really makes it stand out is the night vision capability. This camera features a Super LED Infrared Sensor and No Glow PIR technology, which leaves night footage as clear as day.
- 【High Concealment&Portable】-With mini camera body design, H40 trail camera is as small as a palm and can be held with one hand. Hidden easily in the wild, the H40 trail camera could take photos and videos without disturbing any animal.
- 【16MP&1080P】-16MP Photos and 1080P Videos provide you a clear and fantastic wild world, showing you vivid plants and animals.
- 【Only 4 batteries】-Equipped with only 4 batteries, the H40 trail camera gives you a new way of energy saving. Do not need 8 batteries anymore, saving money and protecting the environment!
- 【Multifuncition & Simplified Operation】-Built-in standard functions - time lapse, timer, continuous shooting, etc, H40 game camera is your a good choice. With multiple languages menu, you can easily understand and operate the H40 trail camera.
- 【High Quality&Customer Service】-APEMAN Customer Service Team will always be with you. Every APEMAN product covers ONE-YEAR after-sale service. For any product problem, please don't hesitate to email us. We can offer you a satisfactory solution at any time.
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- Features 1080P video
- External power supply not included upon purchase
Campark Trail Camera
Campark is excellent at doing one thing: offering an array of features for affordable prices.
This camera provides an extremely impressive 14MP. While there are some higher megapixel trail cameras out there at this price point, you’ll be hard-pressed to find them.
Add to that the fact that it has a wide-angle camera lens with 120° view field as well as the ability to record 1080p audio-video, and most people would be impressed.
The 3 Passive Infrared motion sensors (PIR) give the camera a massive detection angle of 120° wide. Most cameras with trails have a detection angle of about 45°. So the Campark T45 can do nearly the work of 3 trail cameras.
On top of that, the T45 has a 2.4” color LCD screen. This screen helps in camera setup and allows you to preview field images.
- ◀ Faster Trigger Speed ▶ With 3 sensors, once detecting the movements,the hunting camera will be triggered instantly in without delay. You will never miss any exciting moments even at night.The trigger distance is up to 20m(65ft).
- ◀ Excellent Sensitivity and Night Vision with 3 PIR ▶ The trail camera will detect movements of wild animals as soon as they enter the detecting range.With 3 passive infrared sensors,the high-sensitive camera detect and record every breathtaking motion with lower power consumption.The 42 pcs upgraded infrared LEDs can let you catch any moment even at dark night. 850nm infrared technology support super clear night vision.
- ◀ 16MP Clearer Image + 1080P Sharper Video Resolution ▶ The trail camera captures 16 Mega Pixel crystal images and full HD 1080P videos,providing more high-quality details during daytime(black and white at night).You could easily see the vivid world of wildlife. We don‘t recommend removing the protective foil or touching the sensor lenses on both sides as they may cause scratches (Scratches don't affect the detection effect).
- ◀ 120° Wide Angle Lens + Waterproof Sturdy Device ▶ The game camera is equipped with 120° detecting range,which allows you to get excellent broader view.It will record any animal movements you want with wide angle lens even in rainy days.
- ◀ Warm Tips ▶ Memory card and batteries NOT included. MICRO SD CARD RECOMMENDED. ( If you bought the incompatible memory card by"Frequently bought together" feature on this product, please contact us for a replacement. )
- 120° Wide Angle camera lens
- 120° Wide Motion detection range
- Has 0.3-second trigger speed
- The detection range could be longer
How to Buy the Right Bird Cam
As with everything else, there are some factors you need to consider before purchasing a bird cam. Here are some of them.
Night vision is essential in regards to bird cams. Your cam doesn’t need to have the night vision of an owl, but something similar certainly won’t be bad.
A good camera should have a decent night vision capability which allows you to see pictures clearly in very dim light. It should also offer night vision in black and white.
There are other types of bird cams that provide night vision with image sensors. What this means is that you can see the bird’s colors even at night. For this purpose, a security camera with a starlight image sensor is sufficient.
When you’re looking for a bird cam, look for one with sensitive motion sensors. These sensors will do the job for you; you won’t have to hit the shutter, they will.
Once your camera detects motion, it’ll begin to record. The recording usually starts after one second or so. At the same time, it also sends you notifications to let you know it’s recording.
This feature is particularly useful because it doesn’t demand you to be around all the time. Your motion-activated bird cam will do the job for you.
Another important thing to consider is what type of camera you should be getting. There are three major types of cameras that can be used as bird cams.
Trail cameras work by taking a series of photos or videos after moving an object in front of the lens of the camera. Hunters and wildlife enthusiasts use most of the trail cameras, hoping to capture images of mammals as they move about the forest.
Trail cameras can be used to capture images of birds, but you’ll want to put them in areas where birds can perch for a moment and sit still.
Birdhouse cameras give an intimate look inside a bird’s life cycle. The simple placement of a birdhouse camera inside a nestbox used by nesting birds will allow you to stream the process of hatching baby birds and them becoming fledglings.
With a birdhouse camera, the images you can capture are rare and very hard to reproduce with any other camera device.
Believe it or not, a lot of wildlife activity is caught by security cameras. A surveillance camera can also capture pictures of birds positioned at the right location.
Security cameras allow users to maneuver the lens and zoom in, which can help you get even better pictures of birds visiting feeders or nest boxes.
Wireless streaming options are also offered by security cameras so that you can view your bird activity anytime and anywhere.
Where to Mount Your Bird Cam
When mounting your camera, location is key. You’ll need to find a place that has a lot of bird activity, like a nest box.
When determining where your camera should be placed, consider where the lighting is best. You don’t want to have the camera pointing towards the sun. Situate the camera at an angle where the light will be projected in front of the lens, brightening up the recorded subject.
There are three common ways in which a camera can be mounted, and each has its pros and cons:
- Tree strap
- Mounting strap
Tripods are useful, mainly due to their versatility. They can be placed anywhere, unlike the other options. All you have to do is screw the mounting plate to an appropriate place (for example, a tree.)
Then, aim your camera towards the place birds might frequent.
Nevertheless, tripods have their drawbacks. They can be interfered with. Any animal strolling through your backyard can knock them down easily.
Camouflage! It’s what tree straps are all about. They’re a sneaky, inconspicuous way to mount your bird cam.
More often than not, a trail camera purchase accompanies a tree strap. So if you’re lucky, you might get on, which can really come in handy in wooded areas.
Yet, that’s the same reason why they also might not be a good choice. Tree straps are limited to wooded areas, which might not be convenient for you if you don’t live near one.
Mounting brackets are a suitable choice if you want stability. The mounting process is quite similar to a tripod’s; find a structure, screw in the mounting plate, and aim your bird cam. Then? Enjoy the pictures.
However, mounting brackets’ installation isn’t painless. It demands time and patience. On top of that, a mounting bracket makes it difficult to reposition your bird cam.
All in all, we’d advise you to consider the Birdhouse Spy Cam BCAMHEHD Hawk Eye HD Camera. Not only is it easy to install, but it also has a built-in microphone. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn’t record videos; it only provides live footage.
Another option is Wingscapes Audubon BirdCam. It’s similarly easy to install and use. However, it can record up to ten seconds of video clips, which makes it an attractive choice.