Having a sliding glass door with a dog door attached to it is a great idea. It saves you the hassle of opening and closing the door for your dog all the time.
However, if you’re suffering from bad weather outside, the tiny gaps between the dog door and the sliding glass door can easily leak in the air from outside.
A great solution to this is to weather strip these gaps. In the following article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know, so you can pick the best sliding glass door dog door weather stripping.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Top 3 Weather Stripping Options for Sliding Glass Doors Dog Doors
- Top 3 Weather Stripping Options for Sliding Glass Doors Dog Doors
- What Are the Benefits of Weather Stripping a Dog Door in a Sliding Glass Door?
- Wrap Up
The best overall option on the market is PetSafe’s weatherproofing kit. This one is specifically designed for weather-stripping dog doors.
It features a durable insulation tape along with a sealer and other tools to help you install the dog door.
The weather stipping tape here is of various sizes to suit different dog door installations.
- All-in-one kit for any do-it-yourself pet door installation for a better fit and improved energy efficiency
- Perfect for providing additional water-resistance and weather protection, especially for installations in a door or application with raised panels or raised surface
- For use with PetSafe Brand and other pet doors
- Kit includes a 5/16" drill bit, 3/16" roll of weather stripping, 1/2" roll of weather stripping and a tube of clear silicone sealant with applicator tip
- Call, chat or email with our expert US-based customer care specialists six days a week; they are waiting to assist you and your pet with your product needs
- Specifically designed for dog door weather stripping
- Features additional tools for dog door installation
- Great value for its price
- Some users claim that the silicone isn’t necessary, as the weather strip does the job on its own
This one from SAKUYV provides a decent performance while saving you a few bucks.
It’s pliable enough that it’ll allow the sliding door to move but rigid enough to get it back into sealed possible.
The package comes with glue that makes it easy to install but cuts down installation time and complication of the process out of the equation.
- Made of silicone material, lightweight and durable, great for family use
- The silicone sweep can reduce the noise
- Fast and easy installation with extra glue
- The seal with good flexibility can be applied in most of weather
- Widely use for sliding doors, glass doors, door bottom, plastic-steel windows and aluminum windows, cupboards, wardrobes, furniture, sliding door, shower room
- Ideal for buyers on a budget
- Easy to use and install
- Available in various sizes
- Doesn’t feature a durable sealer
Lastly, if you’re looking for premium weather stripping that provides firm attachment and easy sliding of the glass door, consider this one.
This one features high-density foam tapes, which are also great at soundproofing the glass door without making it difficult to slide.
Despite being a bit pricey, they also come with additional tools for the installation of the dog door, which makes them a good value for money.
- HIGH DENSITY FOAM TAPE—Weather proof, Oil resistance, resistant to corrosion, dust proof, shock-absorbing, sound and heat insulation, anti-skidding and insulating
- CLOSED CELL FOAM SWEEP—Green material, CR foam, Neoprene, safety foam material provides all-day protection
- FOAM INSULATION TAPE—The temperature range is from -50℃ to 150℃
- FOAM WEATHER SEAL—Strong adhesive backing, waterproof and non-degumming, stick firmly, great weather stripping for doors and windows
- FOAM STRIP APPLICATION—Widely used in various door seal and window insulation, furniture, electrical cabinets, cars, speakers, toys, sports equipment, etc
- Excellent for eliminating noise
- Features high-density foam
- Can be used for multiple purposes around the house
- A bit pricey
What Are the Benefits of Weather Stripping a Dog Door in a Sliding Glass Door?
By sealing a dog door in a sliding glass door, you’ll ensure maximum quality and benefits of your glass door insulation. Here are some of the benefits you’ll enjoy by opting for a good one!
Insulate Your House Against the Extremes of Weathers
If it’s too cold or too hot outside, the outdoor air will slowly but consistently replace the air inside your house through the drafts of air from the gap between the glass panel and the dog door.
By sealing this dog door, you’ll ensure that your indoor air temperature remains favorable, keeping the efficiency of your insulation system.
Prevent Bugs from Sneaking into Your House
Having bugs sneaking into your house is one of the most common problems that you might have due to non-properly sealed gaps in the dog door.
As they look for a source of food and shelter, your cozy house will always look like a rewarding target for their infestation.
No matter how small the gap is, it can be wide enough for some of these tiny critters to find their way into your house.
An added bonus from weather stripping is that it prevents these bugs and insects from either sheltering in this gap or passing through them.
Reduce Allergens inside the House and Improve Indoor Air Quality
Bugs and weather aren’t the only things that will pass through these tiny gaps. During spring, plants send trillions of microscopic pollen grains that float in the air causing problematic allergies for a lot of people.
If you need to keep the indoor air quality stable for your respiratory health, using air filters while sealing these gaps shut is your way to go!
Saves on Your Weather Control Spendings
If you’re using ACs or space heaters to control the weather in your house, having a gap for outdoor air to leak inside will cost you a lot of money.
For instance, your weather control system will need to work consistently to make up for the leaking air.
This won’t only cost you extra on your electricity bill, but it’ll also cut down on the lifespan of your weather control device, so you’ll need to replace it earlier than expected.
Enhance Soundproofing for a Quieter Indoor Environment
Sound transport through the air. In other words, the more air allowed in from the outside, the louder the noise that will come along with it.
By sealing the gaps in the door, you’ll enjoy a more serene life in your home with less outdoor noises, which is great if you live in a rather noisy neighborhood.
There you have it. A complete guide with the best options for sliding glass door dog door weather stripping.
As you can see, blocking the element of weather isn’t the only advantage that sealing the dog door gap will grant you.
It’s a simple process that won’t take a long time or effort. Ideally, PetSafe Universal Pet Door Installation and Weather Proofing Kit is the best one to use for this project because it’s custom made for dog doors, which makes it the most efficient option to consider.
However, if you’re looking for a rugged weather stripping set for a more reasonable price, you can go for SAKUYV Weather Stripping for Glass Door Gaps. This one is quite affordable, which makes them ideal for anyone who’s on a strict budget.
Yet, it also provides you with excellent performance when it comes to sealing the house from outdoor weather and unwanted elements.