Taking your dog hiking and/or biking with you is one of life’s greatest joys. It’s honestly incomparable.
However, long walks can often be exhausting for your dog, even if it’s a big breed with stamina. This is where a carrier backpack comes in.
In this article, I’ll attempt to explain how to choose the right dog carrier backpack for dogs weighing 60 lbs or more. I’ll also list two products on the market that cater to the needs of large dogs.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
Best Dog Carrier Backpack for Up to 60 lbs
There aren’t enough brands offering dog backpacks that can carry up to 60 pounds. Yet, these 2 are more than enough. Let’s take a look!
K9 Air Plus Sport Sack
- K9 BACKPACK FOR LARGE DOGS: The K9 SPORT SACK ROVER XX-LARGE is designed for dog breeds that weights 80 lbs and less. The K9 Rover - XX-Large will fit dogs with the length of 26-29 inches and have a girth up to 40 inches. Typical dog breeds that will fit this size backpack include Basset Hound, Clumber Spaniel and Goldendoodle. Use it as a dog travel bag for hiking, bikes, subways, shopping, motorcycles, skiing, dancing..heck the possibilities are endless!
- RUFF LIFE: Does your dog suffer from anxiety, depression, or have a physical disability? Or maybe just older or doesn’t have the stamina for your next big adventure. Problem solved!
- ROUND TALL FAT SMALL: We get it! Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, and we got your dog covered! Available in 3 sizes to fit your yorkie or larger sizes for your chubby frenchie or corgi. Scroll down in the product description to find the right size for your dog! Please contact us and visit our website for more accurate sizing recommendations.
- SPORT SACK IS THE NEW BLACK: (Tip) For all the chubby dogs out there with a few fat rolls over the collar, our Jet Black is very slimming! Jokes aside, Jet Black is just 1 of the 4 stylish colors we offer in the Sport Sack URBAN, and don’t worry all the colors have a slimming effect!
- USA-BASED COMPANY, PERFORMANCE GUARANTEED: Wrong size? No problem. Any issues? We’re here for you. Whatever the problem may be don’t worry we’ll cover it, but we’re happy to hear any good stories and see your adventures with your dog. This bag is backed by a 60-Day Quality Guarantee. Must be sold by seller "K9 Sport Sack" or warranty is voided.
The K9 Sport Sack comes in a variety of colors and sizes from Extra Small to XX-Large. The latter is sturdy and can carry up to 80 pounds. It’s a combination of comfort, functionality, and durability.
It has plenty of pockets and compartments. There are dual side pockets for easily reachable snacks or GPS. There’s also a removable storage pack with a hydro port for your water bottle.
As for breathability, this bag is made of a padded back panel with proper airflow and provided with side cooling venting zippers. These features ensure better ventilation for your dog and prevent overheating. It also comes with a detachable dog hood to protect your dog from rain or sun.
Moreover, it’s made for your comfort, too. There are shoulder straps and lumbar straps, both of which are built for weight distribution and prevention of back pain or injury. Additionally, the backpack is equipped with the patented Outlast Temperature Regulating Fabric to maintain optimum body temperature.
- Provides additional storage pockets and compartments
- Good ventilation
- Comfortable for your shoulders and back
- Outlast temperature regulating fabric
- Variable sizes and colors
- Not particularly comfortable for your dog
- Straps aren’t padded
- Not suitable for dogs with long legs
NICREW Legs Out Front Dog Carrier
- Easy on/off design for quick access and removal
- Added mesh panels allow maximum accessibility and ventilation for your puppy
- For extra comfort, we’ve widened the straps and added the shoulder pads
- With this carrier, you can take your small dogs to have more adventures together
- Please check your measurement and pay attention to the size chart before you buy
NICREW bag is a much simpler legs-out dog carrier backpack. It just gets the job done, no fuss no muss.
On the first look, the design is very minimalistic and fashionable with an easy on/off feature for quick access and removal. It can also be worn in two different ways; straight and criss-cross.
The straps are adjustable with Velcro and zippers. The bag is also equipped with chest and waist buckles for added support.
Further, it’s padded, providing comfort for both you and your dog. Additionally, it has breathable mesh sides for well-ventilated hikes.
As for the extras, NICREW falls a bit short. Although it does offer a drawstring top and built-in leash ring, there are no side pockets, wheels, or a dog hood.
- Minimalistic design
- Legs out design
- Adjustable straps
- Well-ventilated and padded
- Velcro straps aren’t strong enough
- No pockets
- Actual sizes don’t match advertised sizes
How to Choose a Dog Carrier Backpack?
Knowing what exactly to look for is crucial for the shopping process. There are a few features you should consider before purchasing. Here are some of them.
Long hikes mean your dog will spend a lot of time in your backpack. You have to ensure proper air entry and ventilation. You don’t want your dog to get a heat stroke.
Look for bags with mesh front and sides for ideal ventilation. If you live in a cooler climate, bags with mesh ventilation windows can also do.
Comfort is indispensable, both for you, as well as for your dog. To avoid back pain, look for backpacks with high-quality straps and a ventilated back.
As for your dog, the inside of the backpack should be soft, padded, and breathable. Also, consider whether your dog will be more comfortable with its legs inside or outside.
A backpack for outdoor activities has to be strong and sturdy, especially if you’re frequently carrying 60 pounds of cuteness inside.
Although incredibly cute, your dog will scratch the lining of your backpack at every chance he gets. This is why you should always invest in a good one, that doesn’t bulge or break down.
The backpack should close securely from outside, to prevent your dog from falling out and getting injured. Therefore, some backpacks are equipped with a locking device, such as a hook or a carabiner, to attach to the leash.
Some of the backpacks are provided with additions that often come in handy. Most bags come with pockets in which you can store snacks, wipes, and water bottles.
Some also come with wheels for when you get too tired from carrying your dog around. You can both take a rest by just pulling the backpack.
Ease of Cleaning
It’s important to look for a bag that doesn’t accumulate waste or maintain a bad odor. You should routinely clean your bag by hand washing it with warm water and mild soap or spot clean using a brush.
Shopping for a dog carrier backpack is a challenge, let alone one for large dogs. Although the market is saturated with brands, few of them actually offer bags that carry dogs of 60 pounds or more.
K9 Air Plus Sport Sack is one of these brands that’s committed for the comfort and safety of you as well as your dog. It delivers on its promises with top-notch quality and functionality.
It’s equipped with all you need in a hiking backpack, including storage pockets and a hydro port. It’s definitely my go-to option.
Another brand that has given attention to large dogs is NICREW Legs Out Front Dog Carrier. It’s minimalistic and gets the job done. Nevertheless, the brand has some things to work on to improve their bag and its capabilities.