Dogs have different sizes, lifestyles, and temperaments. They’re also prone to health concerns that differ from one breed to the next.
Shepradors are an intriguing breed that comes from two pedigree dogs. The mix between German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers produces unique dogs. That’s why you need to be careful with their nutrition.
In the coming sections, we’ll see what makes Shepradors special and how to choose the right food for them.
Would you like to know the best dog food for the German Shepherd Lab mix? Read on to the end!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
The 5 Best Dog Foods for German Shepherd Lab Mix
- The 5 Best Dog Foods for German Shepherd Lab Mix
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- Wag Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Maxi Adult Dog Food
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- What’s So Special About Shepradors?
- The Dietary Requirements of German Shepherd Lab Mix Dogs
- How Often and How Much Should you Feed your Shepradors?
Here’s a roundup of dog foods that sustain the nutrition requirements of your Sheprador.
They vary in their formulation, general taste, and price points. But they’re all high-quality dog foods, that should keep your dog healthy and strong.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Dry Dog Food
- PACKED WITH REAL BEEF: A recipe inspired by the Rocky Mountains, this high protein dog food is now chicken free and features a blend of red meat to satisfy your dog’s wild side while helping build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle. It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 10-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Red Meat
This dog food is highly recommended for Shepradors. It’s a good source of lean protein, it’s free from fillers, and it has copious amounts of antioxidants.
Blue Buffalo is also packed with energy sources like sweet potatoes and peas. This is far better than grains and other carbs, which might be fattening and harder to digest.
The rest of the ingredients include carrots, blueberries, and cranberries. These maintain your dog’s overall health and strengthen its immune system.
It comes in different flavors like bison, rabbit, or beef. So pick the one that gets your dog’s attention. You can also buy it in small or large packages. There are 4, 10, and 22 lb sizes for your convenience.
Overall, this food packs the necessary dietary requirements from premium sources. It’s easy on your dog’s digestive system, but a little hard on your wallet!
Things We Like
- Premium quality food
- Made from red meat only
- Grain-free and soy-free
- Rich antioxidant mix
- Doesn’t contain preservatives
- Doesn’t have artificial sweeteners
- Contains vitamins and minerals
Things We Don’t
- It’s an expensive product
Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 27.5 lb; Bag - Purina ONE Natural, High Protein Dry Dog Food, SmartBlend True Instinct With Real Beef & Salmon
- Contains 32% protein for strong muscles, including a healthy heart
- Real beef is the #1 ingredient and made with real salmon
- No poultry by-product meal, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Meaty morsels deliver and appetizing texture
Purina is a trusted and well-known brand. That’s usually a good reason to pick your dog’s food from their products.
The high protein content and all-natural list of ingredients are suitable for your growing dog. It’s also recommended if your dog does high-intensity training.
There are several flavors and mixes from Purina, but Shepradors have a rather limited palate, so we often suggest the beef variety. If your dog is open to trying other types of meat, there’s also the turkey & venison and chicken mixes.
Things We Like
- Formulated for muscle building
- Contains 32% protein
- Sourced from real meat
- Has glucosamine for joint health
- All-natural ingredients
Things We Don’t
- Might not be suitable for all dog types
- Contains salmon
Wag Dry Dog Food
- Real American turkey is the #1 ingredient to give your pup a delicious blend
- Nutritious vegetables like lentils and peas provide vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients; salmon oil and flaxseed provide omega-3 fatty acids, including long-chain DHA.
- Contains no added grain, corn, or wheat; no added artificial colors, flavors, or chemical preservatives
- Made in California, USA at a family-owned facility with trusted, high quality sources from around the world
- Our recipes are formulated with the help of veterinarians for the optimal blend of protein and fat, without adding any grains.
Like Blue Buffalo, Beef is the main ingredient here. Shepradors fare better on diets made primarily from red meat, and that’s why we included Wag Dry Food in our list. But that’s not the only reason.
This dry food mix contains omega-3 fatty acids and other high-nutrition amino acids. These come from flaxseed and Salmon oil. Both are brain-foods and contribute to the shine and grace of your dog’s coat.
Wag Dry Dog Food is made in California in the USA, and it gets its ingredients from dependable sources. The formula was designed by expert vets who included balanced amounts of protein and fat, without adding any grains or fillers.
The mix is free from grains, preservatives, artificial flavors, chemicals, or synthetic colors. This is well suited for your Sheprador’s health and disposition.
It comes in other flavors, so if your dog is interested in lamb, salmon, or turkey you can shift to these. It can also grow with your dog as it starts with 6-week dogs to adults. There’s a 5 lb trial package, but you can also buy it in 15 or 30 lb packs.
Things We Like
- Tasteful for dogs
- No-grain mix for easier digestion
- Contains antioxidants and phytonutrients
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Has amino acids from premium sources
- Carefully formulated for growth and energy
- Suitable for puppies and adult dogs
- Moderately priced
Things We Don’t
- Only 35% protein
- It might be a bit hard to digest for some dogs
Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Maxi Adult Dog Food
- Royal Canin large adult dry dog food (formerly Maxi Adult) is precise nutrition specifically made for large dogs 15 months to 5 years old weighing 56–100 pounds
- Promotes healthy digestion with easy-to-digest high-quality proteins and a balanced supply of fiber
- Helps support bones and joint health in large breed dogs
- Nourishes healthy skin and coat with EPA and DHA
- Exclusive large-sized kibble design is highly palatable
This dry food mix is formulated for extra-large dogs. Shepradors sometimes exceed your expectations when it comes to the growth rate. When they go beyond the 56-100 lb mark, you’d need to fulfill their different dietary requirements.
This variety is designed to take care of your 15-months puppy to a 5-year-old big dog. It’s good for their digestion, joints, and bones. It has a high content of fat and carbs, so it’ll also fuel your dog’s energy for the day.
There’s a broad range of Royal Canin products for all your dog’s age stages, health state, and palate preferences.
For example, the Canine Care Nutrition variety has dry and wet food if your dog’s digestion is more to the sensitive side. Also, the Size Health Nutrition considers the needs of aging dogs and provides them with a suitable mix that maintains their health.
The Care Nutrition range also caters for dogs with joint problems, sensitive skin, and dental problems. Moreover, you could pay extra attention to your dog’s coat, by getting a specific food mix that addresses this concern.
This value-packed dry food is moderately priced, and it comes in an economic 35-lb package, so you might want to consider it if you have several dogs or would like to go for a more controlled budget.
Things We Like
- Adjusted for age, size, and health condition
- Comes in palatable extra-large kibbles
- Includes a healthy amount of fiber
- Induces good digestion
- Aroma and texture attractive to dogs
- A high content of Omega-3
- Budget-friendly price
Things We Don’t
- It contains chicken parts and wheat
- It has a 24% protein content, which might be insufficient for some dogs
Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Contains one 24 pound bag of dry dog food
- Real lamb is the #1 ingredient
- 32% Protein – the highest crude protein level among leading Limited Ingredient dog food brands
- No grains, potatoes, fillers or chicken ingredients
- Complete and balanced for all breeds of adult dogs
Natural Balance is a highly reputable brand. They put in evident effort to formulate the correct food mix for your dog’s needs. The limited ingredients are designed to provide plenty of crude protein and some carbs for energy.
There are no unhealthy fillers or cheap ingredients, and there’s no long list of strange dietary elements.
We picked the lamb mix for this roundup, as it’s palatable for many dogs. It’s also easy on their stomachs. If you’d rather offer your dog a beef mix, there’s that. Also, you could suggest the chicken & sweet potato, duck & potato, legume & duck meal, or sweet potato & bison.
Dogs have strange tastes, just like humans. And sometimes they get bored from being served the same flavor all the time. There’s also the benefit of varying the nutritious elements your dog could get from the different food sources. Check with your vet too for best results.
Things We Like
- High protein content
- 32% real lamb
- Easily digestible
- Wide variety of tastes
- Various package sizes
Things We Don’t
- The occasional formula changes could upset the dogs’ stomach
- Prices are subject to some increases
What’s So Special About Shepradors?
German Shepard Labrador Mix dogs, or Shepradors, are currently among the most popular dog breeds. This is not a surprise, as this designer breed is the offspring of two amazing pedigrees.
This is also a match made in heaven, as both German Shepherds and Labradors share the same size and temperament. They’re both smart and take to strangers after a bit of familiarization.
German Shepherds differ in their narrow breeding for several generations. Their looks, strength, and massive size were the main attributes for breeders. This caused some inadvertent health issues for the GSDs.
Labrador Retrievers, on the other hand, didn’t receive the same excessive care in keeping their line pure. Their origins are varied and rich. This openness provided them with stronger genes. Their main characteristics remained untarnished though.
Their crossbreeding seems to produce the best of both worlds. Mixed breeds could face some temperamental issues when their parents have different sizes or opposing personalities. These ones usually don’t.
Shepradors are smart, sociable, and quite clever. They need to spend their energies in non-stop physical activities, and they appreciate doing brainy stuff. That’s why you need to give them the nutrition that sustains their natural affinities.
The Dietary Requirements of German Shepherd Lab Mix Dogs
Every dog breed has special attributes that dictate their nutritional needs. Here’s what you should consider when you buy your Sheprador good food.
Big Dogs Need High-Nutrition Food
These lovely dogs are among the big ones. Therefore, you should feed them high-quality food to sustain this size. They’ll need plenty of protein, in addition to a multitude of other nutrients to sustain their growth and activity.
Moving a Lot Takes Energy
They’re also known for needing to move a lot. They need serious amounts of training, exercise, and fooling around. They’ll do at least two hours of vigorous activity per day. This requires a balanced diet and a proportional quantity of calories to keep up.
Keeping Their Figure with Lean Meals
The Labrador side of this breed left if with a penchant for overeating. Labradors and their derivatives are thus prone to obesity. So you might want to give them lean food that’s mostly protein.
Brainy Food for Smarter Dogs
Shepradors are also clever dogs. It’s essential to stimulate them mentally by constantly teaching them new tricks. And it’s just as important to give them brainy foods that contain Omega-3 and other neuron-enhancing elements.
Boost Their Immunity with Antioxidants
German Shepherds and Labradors are unfortunately prone to passing on some congenital diseases. To protect the Shepradors from these possibilities, you should include a healthy amount of antioxidants in their food.
Minerals and vitamins for a Regal Coat
The content of fruits, vegetables, and seeds also maintains the Sheprador’s coats and skin. These dogs don’t always inherit the German Shepherd’s mighty manes. They do however usually have interesting colors and regal coats.
How Often and How Much Should you Feed your Shepradors?
Shepradors are big dogs, usually as big as their German Shepherd parent. As such, they need large amounts of food that go with their massive built.
The recommended amount of dry food per day could be as much as 3.5 cups. Adjust the quantity according to the size, age, and activity level of your dog.
Divide the feedings over the day to accommodate your dog’s digestive cycle. Offering food twice a day should be sufficient. Your dog wouldn’t be too full or too hungry. That’s a good recipe for a content dog.
Here’s a little pro tip: Use a large bowl for your dog. This should keep it from eating too quickly, which could upset its stomach.
Now we get to the part where we reveal the best dog food for German Shepherd lab mix dogs. This is definitely a tough choice!
All the listed brands are noteworthy, but, we’ll go with Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Dry Dog Food. Its protein content is suitable for your Sheprador’s big and strong built, it has the right amount of carbs for energy, and it’s rich in antioxidants to boost its immunity.
For a budget-friendly mix, the Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Maxi Adult Dog Food should be a good option.